Question about cheap "home theater in a box"

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JasonPritchett, Feb 11, 2004.

1. JasonPritchett

As I stated in an earlier post, I recently bought a Philips 727 DVD player to use in my bedroom. I'm looking to get some sort of VERY basic 5.1 system for the room. I don't need anything fancy. I've been looking at the under $250 set-ups that Radio Shack and Best Buy offer. Here's my question, though: most of these set-ups come with a DVD player/receiver combo unit. Since I already have a DVD player that I'm happy with, would it be possible to somehow connect the Philips 727 to the new DVD player and have the new one act ONLY as the receiver? If so, how?

Please, no sneering at the low-rent set-up I'm trying to create. [​IMG] Thanks for any information or advice you can give me!

Jason

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I doubt it would have the inputs to do what you're talking about. You can get an HTIB that doesn't have the combo receiver and dvd. A friend got one at Sears on sale for $249. It was a JVC. It was a very good one. It had a dvd player with it, but it was a seperate piece of equipment. Since he already had a dvd player, he gave the one in the box to his grandchild.

That's the biggest problem with those combo unit HTIBs, like you're talking about. They don't seem to have the inputs to add a cd player, cassette deck, satellite receiver, etc..........

Good luck!

3. Kevin*H

Kevin*H Stunt Coordinator

I bought a HTIB from Fingerhut for $249 that has the digital connection for a DVD and an optical for my satellite. The receiver is a low end JVC av receiver but it has a lot of the features of the more expensive models
    and is in my opinion a good stop gap until I get better speakers and a new JVC receiver

4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Looktat the Yamaha HT-100...has some inputs that you are needing and flexible..sounds pretty good for a HTIB...
    Retail is $299 but probably had for cheaper online

good luck..happy hunting

5. Daman

Daman Second Unit

yes the yamaha ht 100 is pretty decent system for 300 bucks.. i had it for sometime and it was pretty ok,specially if you have a small room.Its probably quite better than most of the under 300$ home theater in a box systems..

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please post here when asking for specific recommendations about which HTiB to buy. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

7. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Dudes,

Most HTiB systems suffer from crappy sound reproduction in the 400 to 80 hz range. That means, well....they SUCK. I am very interested and I am likely to purchase the new HSU ventriloquist HTiB 6.1 system that sells for $299.00 ! ! ! Damn dudes...if you get any of their sweet subs then they knock off another $100.00 ! ! ! Totally sweet dudes...
    The ventriloquist is apparently being reviewed VERY well and it takes care of the 400 to 80 hz hole issue. Jason dude, do yourself a favor and buy something based on reviews and personal listening rather than what's on sale at Rat(shit) Shack!

Dudes,

Chester II