Question about CDP's- KeithH plz read!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ch, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Hi Keith, sorry about using the forum to contact you, but my email server isn't working at the moment. I've been a long time follower of this forum and know that you are very intrested in stereo sound especially seeing your excellent 2 channel set-up! I'm interested in getting a Rotel RCD-991 (on sale) which reviews have said was on a similar level to the Sony CDP-XA5ES which you have. I was wondering how this Sony cdp compares to your Sony SCD-C333ES carousel or even the C555ES on redbook cd playback. I'm not sure if getting a dedicated CD-only player is a wise choice since the hi-rez formats are slowly maturing. Thanking you in advance for your assistance,

Mike

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I don't you mind you contacting me here. Besides, others may chime in with their experiences. I have never had the opportunity to compare the Rotel RCD-991 and Sony 'C333ES or 'C555ES side-by-side. The Rotel is a nice player, but there are other worthy contenders in the under-$1000 USD-single-disc-CD-player category. Also look at the Arcam DiVA CD72T, Arcam Alpha 7SE, 8SE, or 9, if you can find them, Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (with a tube upgrade since the stock Philips tubes are nothing special), Heart CD5000, Heart CD6000, Roksan Kandy, and Rega Planet 2000. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but there are some good players listed there. Of course, if you are getting a great deal on the Rotel, it may be tough to beat as far as non-SACD players are concerned.

As you said, I have the Sony 'XA5ES, and it is a very good CD player. In limited comparisons, I feel it is comparable to the 'C333ES in CD mode, which is in the same system. However, I use the 'C333ES much more frequently due to the convenience of the carousel and because I find myself listening to SACDs a lot. The bottom line is that the 'C333ES (and 'C555ES) is a great CD player. In comparison to the 'XA5ES, I don't feel you lose anything in CD playback quality with the 'C333ES or 'C555ES, and of course, the latter two players give you SACD playback. Are these SACD changers available in Australia? They are not available in Europe, and I thought the Australian market would mirror Europe. On the other hand, I came across someone on Audio Asylum from New Zealand who had a Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel CD changer, and I would not have expected it to be available there. Oh well.

If the 'C333ES or 'C555ES are available in your area and are within your budget, I'd say go with one of them over a single-disc CD player such as the Rotel. The 'C555ES is a great stereo component and adds multi-channel SACD, if that matters. In these changers, you are getting outstanding build quality, great CD sound, and SACD as a bonus. These changers are outstanding values.