What's new

Question about cabling with front projectors (1 Viewer)

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
OK,

So I am thinking of getting rid of my ISF calibrated Sony 61HS20 and buying an Infocus 4805 or 5000 model.

What is the deal with running cables from the DVD player, Xbox, VCR, etc. to the projector if it is ceiling mounted?

Do you have to put your components on the side of the room or something?

Is there some type of 25 foot long breakout box I can buy and then plug all my components into that box?

What do you guys do?

Thanks

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I ran all of my cables separately, so they're pretty long. I guess you could get a scaler and run everything to it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My previous setup had a drop ceiling so I fished all my video cables up the wall and then above the drop ceiling. In the current setup, I had the advantage of running my cables via a conduit before the drywalling was done.

If I had a room with no access behind the walls and above the ceiling, then I would figure out the best way to get the cables up to the projector so they are not an eyesore, like some external conduit that I could even paint for example.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
If you click my website icon I hung everything from tracks used for pocket doors, so I can move my 4:3 projector back and forth to see in full or wide screen.
I've added a $60 TV capture card in my PC upstairs recently and fished a 25' VGA cable, 25' audio cable and 25' PS/2 cable for a wireless mouse.
Now I'm watching regular cable and the VCR through the deinterlacer of that card on the big screen and the picture resolution is maximized with the 4:3 projector moved forward.
The PQ is just as good as my regular TV.

Jack Spencer

Agent
Once you have figured out how to run the cables, run as few as possible. I have four, quad-shield RG6: Three for the component run (must all be exactly the same length), and one for composite. Then use your receiver or other device to switch the video. Most projectors aren't going to have a dozen inputs, anyway, so just run one of each type of connection and switch it at the source.

I am putting all of my equipment in another room and routing the cables through the attic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks