What's new

Question about breaking street dates... (1 Viewer)

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
I just have a quick question about retailers breaking street dates. I know the studios get upset about it, but i was just curious as to why. I mean does it keep them from tracking the sales of a disc?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Shayne's response! Part of that is that a big store, such as Wally World, probably has faster distribution than a smaller chain and shouldn't have that edge. It's better for each title if it is hot running out of the gate from several locations rather than one place burning out the welcome, so to speak. That and the littler stores won't order from someone whose product doesn't sell due to above :)
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator
I work for a smaller retail chain here in Canada and I find street date violations all the time. The studios say it bothers them but they haven't done anything about any of the violations I have reported. It's frustrating trying to be a retailer and not even getting to compete on a level playing field, sometimes it seems like my store is the only one that abides by the set street dates.
angry.gif

------------------
MY POWER ANIMAL TOLD ME TO SLIDE.
MY DVD LIST(SILENTBOB96)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Chris, if they are not going to do anything about breaking the street dates, then why don't you break them too?
Glenn

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Don't the big chain stores get them considerably earlier than the smaller ones from distributors? It would seem that even if the store that chris is employed by puts their DVDs out the day they get them, it might still be a week later than a Ballbuster or other. I know Phantom Menace hit the shelves much earlier than my distributor got them in , let alone out to their smaller rental chains.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks