Question about BNC to RGB on a Mitsubishi HDTV.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Giddens, Jan 17, 2002.

1. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

My mother-in-law recently killed her current DVD player, and asked me about buying a new one. Her price range was sufficient for the Panasonic RP-56 that was on sale at Best Buy. She bought her Mitsubishi HDTV when they first came out, but unfortunately I can't recall a model number. Moving along, the TV's got one HDTV input in the back, and the component input isn't progressive compatible. It's HDTV input is BNC, and a few other weird looking one's that I can't recall. My question is, can I go to Radio Shack and get three RCA to BNC adaptors, plug the corresponding connectors into the BNC jacks minus the other two BNC connections, and get the progressive signal working on her TV? Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Absolutely not in the manner you suggest. That would work if your only problem was that the connector was wrong, not the signal itself. Your main problem is that the TV wants an RGB+HV signal, but the DVD player is sending out YPrPb, which is different. Basically you need to get a transcoder that converts the signal to RGB if you want to use that particular player in progressive mode. It might be easier to hunt for a progressive player that provides a VGA output, then get a VGA -> RGB+HV breakout cable. (You could use a computer with a DVD-ROM for this purpose, but this might be cumbersome for your mother-in-law)
    You also have to dig around in the service menu to get the Mits to accept the 31.5 kHz 480p output. Check this
    HomeTheaterSpot thread That forum has a lot of Mits users so they can point you in the right direction.

3. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

Seems to be too much trouble and beyond her budget at this point. Oh well, thanks for replying.