question about bi-amping using my HK 520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i've been seriously considering trying to move to an external power amp for my main speakers (B&W 602's) but lack the $$ for purchasing a real amp. so, could i use the coolness of my HK's preouts/main-in's to bi-amp my speakers?

i was thinking about buying two Y-splitters (male RCA -> 2 female RCA) and running them as follows: Y-out from Front L preout to main-in Front L and Surround L. same thing for the right side. then just run in 5-ch stereo mode and have bi-amped mains when i connect the speaker wire accordingly.

my only concern is that if i play movies and it defaults back to 5.1 that it'll sound really messed up (or even damage the speakers) sending different info to the tweeters and the midrange woofers. will this work? opinions? suggestions?

2. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

The Y cables should work as you describe. You don't have to run in 5 channel stereo mode. The normal 2 channel will produce 2 Left, and 2 right channels of amplification.

Unless you are going to do a bunch of wiring between music in HT, you will be limited in running in 3.1 and associated virtual modes in HT.

I have contemplated doing a similar passive bi-amp experiment, but haven't tried it. Let me know if you think it makes an improvement in music.

JohnS

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I would wait for another amp. I would be very suprised if the improvement was worth the effort.

-rob

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    maybe i should try bi-amping one speaker this way and leave the other one put and see if i can notice a difference? that could be fun [​IMG]

5. Sunil_K

Sunil_K Auditioning

Taking this thought further... I have a separate 2-channel amp powering the front bookshelf speakers via the pre-outs of a HK-525. Would it make sense, to connect the woofers of the front bookeshelf to the separate amp, and the tweeters to the output of the reciever? This would be bi-amping the woofer + tweeter. The details about the amp is that it is a carver tfm-35, and the bookshelf speakers are boston acoustics vrm-60.

6. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Might make sense. However, what if the carver has a sweeter top end? The amp might be superior enough to make the biamping counterproductive. Also, leveling the outputs can prove to be difficult.

I would imagine that using the Carver alone would yield better sonic results.

I could be wrong.

-rob

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

In my experience passive bi-amping using a good amp for part of the sound and a receiver-level amp for the rest of the sound did not work out well. The advantages of the better amplifier outweighed the advantages of bi-amping in that case. But, give it a shot. It can't hurt.