Question about Avia, the Malata, and my TW40X81...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Patrick, can you manually trigger the TV to go into its anamorphic mode? If so, that would be the way to do it.

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

If manually setting the display has not effect, then I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you. I built the patterns assuming that the displays would allow manual selection of aspect ratio. We couldn't set the disc to force autoselect of widescreen mode on displays because that would have required the entire DVD to be in anamorphic format and the majority of users are still on 4:3 screens. Widescreen viewers need to manually go to anamorphic (full) mode, but it sounds like that user control isn't working for you.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

3. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

I'm confused. I'm using Avia with my Toshiba PRTV and the Malata allows me to change the aspect ratio. The DVD is NOT anamorphic/enchanced for widescreen TV so....hmmm....I'll try it out again when I get home.

4. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

The Malata should be set for a 16:9 display. That should be the right one to prevent it from doing downconversion. All AR changes should then be performed by the TV switching its scan ratio.
    The AVIA DVD is not flagged as anamorphic, so the DVD players don't sense it as such when you play the widescreen enhanced (anamorphic) patterns in AVIA. Those patterns have their image content built to look correct on an widescreen enhanced display. Those WSE patterns are anamophic but not flagged for automatic AR switching. When players see that flag set for the DVD, they can try to send a signal to the TV to switch aspect ratio. Unfortunately, that signaling system doesn't work reliably between manufacturers of players and TV's. That's why a manual means of setting the AR on the display is desirable. In this case, that's not an issue because the disc isn't flagged anyway.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

The Malata might be internally scaling the image down into the center of the 16:9 signal like some RCA players do. That would be a headache to work around. You might be able to work it by setting the Malata to 4:3 mode and then manually setting the Toshiba to anamorphic mode.
    [Edited last by Guy Kuo on October 30, 2001 at 05:49 PM]

6. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Just got this response from a Malata expert:
    The Toshiba (and other players) do not have the Malata's function of displaying non-anamorphic DVD's properly on HDTV's that FORCE a squeeze for 480p material. Avia, at the time, didn't bother to use that special flag, since no players around could do that. Of course, the feature was known to be part of the DVD spec, so Avia should have included it.
    No huge deal, but slightly annoying.