Question about automatic transmission

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HienN, Dec 4, 2002.

1. HienN

HienN Stunt Coordinator

This may seem like a silly question, but I learned to drive on stick shift and haven't had to deal with this situation until this past Thanskgiving when I was driving over some mountainous areas.
    On automatic transmission, is it OK to shift from Overdrive to Drive or to 2nd gear and back WHILE you are driving, without stopping or slowing down? If yes, do you have to be in certain speed range to make these shifts? I was starting to climb a steep hill on overdrive and felt the truck losing speed, but I was afraid to downshift on the fly for fear of damaging the transmission. With a stick shift like I was used to, there would be no problem because I'd push on the clutch, but it seemed really strange to just shift on auto without doing anything.
    I've been asking around but folks either didn't know, or thought it was OK but they hadn't done it themselves, so I still don't have an answer. We Californians are such wusses. [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Yes you can downshift while you're driving. Just make sure you're not going too fast for the gear you're downshifting to (e.g. don't downshift into 2nd or 1st when you're doing 75 mph!). Most cars nowadays have computer controlled transmissions so they won't actually downshift until you are at a safe speed for the gear you want.

Also, with an auto, it'll downshift automatically when you're climbing a tough hill and you give it enough gas. The only time you'd want to downshift manually is when you're going down a steep hill and want to use engine braking, or if you're driving in mountainous areas and want to turn the overdrive off to reduce the amount of shifting going on.

3. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I usually break a little and then downshift to 2 - yes, it does feel wierd to just downshift in the middle of driving without doing anything if you're used to manual transmission. But I think automatic transmission cars have some sort of idiot-proof mechanism so you won't downshift to a low gear at high speeds - even manual tranny cars won't let you go to first gear if you're going 60 mph, for example (unless you have a Ferrari or something of that sort).

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I know how you feel. I mashed my brake down with my left foot on 2 occasions forgetting I was driving an automatic.

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

6. HienN

HienN Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I'll run out and test it immediately... on a borrowed car [​IMG]

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

9. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

let the trans do the work,most late model trans will kick out of lockup and just a(touch(of the brake pedal,or usually about 20% TPS traval signal,car vary.But if you feel better drop it into regular D and drive it,no OD, or torque converter lockup.The tran control units in most late model cars are pretty smart,and most know "better"then us when to downshift etc.

Greg
    20 year auto tech

10. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I too have hit the brake going for the clutch. Man I felt like a retard. Just remember manual transmissions are the only real transmissions. Oh and don't go to third until you hit about 50 MPH