What's new

Question about Atmos, DTS:X, and height channels (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I was reading marketing literature for the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3060 and saw something that seems intriguing, but possibly too good to be true.

It suggested this receiver can do processing to use "presence" speakers (height channels) in an upward-firing or downward-firing position (classic Atmos configurations), *or* with these speakers firing toward the listening position (Dolby ProLogic IIz configuration / pre-Atmos height channel configuration).

What happens if you play back Atmos or DTS:X content but with the height speakers near the ceiling, facing the listening position? I would imagine it would "work" but likely not sound the way intended for these formats, as they were designed with down-firing ceiling speakers in mind.

Has anyone done this?

Does the Yamaha (or any other Atmos/DTS:X capable receiver) have the ability to reprocess height audio so if you don't have a true Atmos/DTS:X configuration, you can still get reasonable height / environmental audio effects?

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I was reading marketing literature for the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3060 and saw something that seems intriguing, but possibly too good to be true.

It suggested this receiver can do processing to use "presence" speakers (height channels) in an upward-firing or downward-firing position (classic Atmos configurations), *or* with these speakers firing toward the listening position (Dolby ProLogic IIz configuration / pre-Atmos height channel configuration).

What happens if you play back Atmos or DTS:X content but with the height speakers near the ceiling, facing the listening position? I would imagine it would "work" but likely not sound the way intended for these formats, as they were designed with down-firing ceiling speakers in mind.

Has anyone done this?

Does the Yamaha (or any other Atmos/DTS:X capable receiver) have the ability to reprocess height audio so if you don't have a true Atmos/DTS:X configuration, you can still get reasonable height / environmental audio effects?

Yeah.... I did the pseudo-Atmos thing with my front presence speakers on my Yamaha Aventage RX-A 2060. Tried pointing them towards me and also towards the ceiling.... a little better but still ....Meh

Eventually bought the ELAC Dolby enabled Atmos speakers through Amazon (ELAC A4 Debut Series 4" Concentric Dolby Atmos Speakers by Andrew Jones (Pair)) for ~$230 and placed them on top of my Front L & R Paradigm tower speakers. Now that made a difference and I highly recommend these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrhaque-19
Recent bookmarks