1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about anamorphic squeeze...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, May 9, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone
    Alright, I've owned a 27" Wega for about two years now, and a friend and I were discussion anamorphic sqeeze the other day. I'm not an HT Newbie, and I know most of the technical info behind anamorphic sqeeze...but I got to wondering. How much does the picture quality on an animorphically sqeezed DVD on a 480i tv compare to something using progressive. Also...what work is going on inside the tv to "squeeze" more scan lines into a smaller space.

None of this is that important, I just wondered...

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

To squeeze more scan lines into a smaller space...
    On the CRT(s) the TV circuits adjust the vertical sweep to go from 12% to 87% of the way down the screen instead of 0% (extreme top) to 100%. The 480 lines' worth of picture are drawn in the same way as always and they will now all land, hopefully equally spaced, in a 16:9 shape.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

About the PQ difference...

An anamorphic transfer has nothing to do with progressive scan - although both will improve the quality of the picture. An interlaced TV can squeeze the scanlines into a 16x9 raster area and gain the same benifit of added vertical resolution (33% more).

A progressive scan TV will allow you to gain the benifit of a more stable image, and better de-interlacing of most film source through 3-2 pulldown detection (either in the DVD player or through the TV's internal circuitry).

-Ryan Dinan

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone
    Thanks for the info guys!

5. MitchellC

MitchellC Extra

This isn't really related to the subject, but I thank you because I've always wondered how a 27" would fit in that entertainment center (it's the same one I have, mine seen here)

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone
  7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone
    God...I didn't read your post that well now did I [​IMG] ...gladd I could help.