Question about anamorphic squeeze...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, May 9, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Alright, I've owned a 27" Wega for about two years now, and a friend and I were discussion anamorphic sqeeze the other day. I'm not an HT Newbie, and I know most of the technical info behind anamorphic sqeeze...but I got to wondering. How much does the picture quality on an animorphically sqeezed DVD on a 480i tv compare to something using progressive. Also...what work is going on inside the tv to "squeeze" more scan lines into a smaller space.

None of this is that important, I just wondered...

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

To squeeze more scan lines into a smaller space...
    On the CRT(s) the TV circuits adjust the vertical sweep to go from 12% to 87% of the way down the screen instead of 0% (extreme top) to 100%. The 480 lines' worth of picture are drawn in the same way as always and they will now all land, hopefully equally spaced, in a 16:9 shape.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

About the PQ difference...

An anamorphic transfer has nothing to do with progressive scan - although both will improve the quality of the picture. An interlaced TV can squeeze the scanlines into a 16x9 raster area and gain the same benifit of added vertical resolution (33% more).

A progressive scan TV will allow you to gain the benifit of a more stable image, and better de-interlacing of most film source through 3-2 pulldown detection (either in the DVD player or through the TV's internal circuitry).

-Ryan Dinan

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Thanks for the info guys!

5. MitchellC

MitchellC Extra

This isn't really related to the subject, but I thank you because I've always wondered how a 27" would fit in that entertainment center (it's the same one I have, mine seen here)

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

God...I didn't read your post that well now did I [​IMG] ...gladd I could help.