What's new

Question about an RPTV Purchase (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone,
Lately, I've been doing quite a bit of reasearch as I was thinking about upgrading to an RPTV. The TV in question is a Hitachi 46 or 51F510, which from what I've heard and seen is a great set.

Now, here is the scenario:
The TV is going into a 'bonus room where' my HT is and other things are located, as well as my computer and a work area. Because of this set up, i spend most of the time in here and the TV does take on some abuse, here is what I mean:

- The current tv IS on 7-8 hours a day on weekdays, and 8-10 on weekends, 7 days a week.
- I WILL watch 4:3 material on the new TV since a most channgels are still not HDTV. Whether I stretch the picture or not will depend on the quality of the image.
- I WILL play games on the TV, but mostly on weekends, and mostly for not too long, so this shouldn't be a problem.

There will also, of course, be some major DVD viewing as that's the whole reason Im thinking of this upgrade. Should be great with the new Studio 60's :)

Now the question is, what can I expect in terms of durability and sustainability with the use this TV will get? The current TV is 32" Sony set, which has been doing a fantastic job for about the last 7 years, and although I really do want a new set, I dont wan't something that won't last.

Plasma is pretty much out of the question, and LCD is also way too expensive to be considered. The only other option is to wait a little longer and put in a littl extra for an LCD RPTV, considering the burn in and such on those isnt quite as bad. (If I've been correctly informed)

I was hoping to get this new set by Christmas, but if you guys don't thnk the current CRT RPTVs can handle this, I shall wait.

Thoughts Anyone?
And Thanks a lot for the input!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jack, the only thing I would worry about is all the 4:3 shows you watch. If you don't use the stretch mode most of the time you will get burn-in of the bars. I have a 55" Mitsubishi with satellite & OTA antenna, and the stretch mode looks real good.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I have the 51S715, very similar to the F510. I think the stretch modes are good. I use 4:3 expanded all the time for 'regular TV' to avoid the burn-in, but not when watching a 4:3 movie. As long as you vary the image you shouldn't have any problems. If you play LOTS of games then another type of set would be better. Sounds like you watch a lot of movies, like me. That's why I went with CRT, it has the best picture available currently IMO compared to the newer technologies.

DVDs look fantastic with a progressive player. Hi-def looks even better! Even SD fare looks decent (I'm using DirecTV via S-video). As for reliability, Hitachi has one of the best reps for reliability among major brand RPTVs.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, that sounds great. And I guess for the price of the 51F510 you really cant beat it right now.

I guess I was just wondering If I will have a lot less worries with an LCD RPTV rather than CRT. Is there really no burn in? THe picutre quality can be slightly sacrifies to get worry free viewing no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks