Question about an old Sony receiver and a new sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sanjay Chauhan, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Sanjay Chauhan

Sanjay Chauhan Auditioning

Hi there,

I have an old Sony receiver(can't remember the model #) which serves my needs but i wanted to add a sub to my system without spending too much. My receiver has outputs for 2 sets of speakers ( A & B) and the surround. So my question is all the new receivers have a seperate sub out and the subs all have the input connection. I seen a Sony sub SAWM20 for cheap ($ 99 Canadian) and at the store they said it could use the speaker output B from my receiver and still work. My question is, does anyone know if this will sound decent. I just don't want to buy a new receiver.

thanks

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Most Sony SURROUND rec's can't do surround PLUS A and B at the same time. Stereo - only models can, however.

Depends on the type of rec / model you have.

If you need to, you can run the wires to both the sub AND the main L/R speakers from the same output, no problem.

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I had a SAWM20 for a while, and IIRC (I'm pretty sure) it has speaker level inputs. Your can connect speaker cables from the receiver speaker outputs to the speaker inputs on the sub, then speaker cables from the sub can be connected to your main speakers. You can adjust the crossover on the sub so it it will play lower frequencies and send the higher frequencies along to your speakers.

You won't have to connect anything to your "Speakers B" output.

Hope this helps.

4. Sanjay Chauhan

Thanks guys for your replies. I will find out what the model number is on my receiver. The only thing about sending the speaker output of A into the sub and from the sub connecting my speakers (and then adjusting the cross over so the high output goes to the front speakers and the low stays with the sub)is that my front speakers are pretty decent towers with 8" subs and i wanted the full range of sound going into them. The other idea sounds good about connecting both the fronts and the sub to the same speaker out from the receiver if my reciever won't allow the A & B & surround to be on at the same time.

thanks

5. Sanjay Chauhan

The Sony Receiver is model TA-AV501 (its like 11 yrs old but i still love it!)