What's new

Question about Amazon (1 Viewer)

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
I was hunting around for a DVD on Amazon this morning and noticed my search came up with 'Amazon will notify you will when this movie is available on DVD' (paraphrasing)

Does this generally mean that the film is in the pipeline to be released?

(sorry if this is has already been mentioned somewhere else)

Corey

Screenwriter
Yeah it usually means that the studio is working on getting that film released. A lot of films that were once on my notification list have been released:

-That's Dancing
-The Pirate
-Best Foot Forward
-A Date With Judy
-The Jazz Singer
-Executive Suite

These are some classics that are on my e-mail notification list:

The Blue Dahlia
Kismet
Why Was I Born?
Calvacade
Johnny Apollo
She Done Him Wrong
The Exile
The Cat and the Canary
Light in the Piazza
The Gangster
Cry of the City
The Crusades
Come to the Stable
Three Blind Mice
Viva Zapata!
Waterloo Bridge (1940)
The Miniver Story
Wings
Tales of Manhattan
The Story of Alexander Graham Bell
Rings on Her Fingers
The Left Hand of God
The Wayward Bus
Pride of St. Louis
Oh Men! Oh Women!
Luck of the Irish
Untamed
Two Flags West
This Above All
Hello, Frisco, Hello
Sweet Rosie O'Grady
Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend
Song of the Islands
Quo Vadis
The Major and the Minor
I Married a Witch
Sun Valley Serenade
The Breaking Point
The Pumpkin Eater
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Greed
Edge of Darkness
Parrish
Sunrise at Campobello
Cimarron
The Eddie Cantor Story
Al Capone
Beyond the Forest
Not with My Wife, You Don't!
Bhowani Junction
Show Boat
Bachelor Mother
Thousands Cheer

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Honestly, it really means absolutely nothing, except that prospective customers have contacted Amazon about those particular films more than others. Amazon got sick of hearing inquiries about many of the most-requested films so they created that system to notify prospective customers once a studio finally (if ever) puts something out. It has nothing to do with what is actually in the pipeline, though.

Corey

Screenwriter

Well if a lot of people are wanting those films, I think studios like WB and Fox will listen to what the consumers want.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
It doesn't mean anything - certainly not that Amazon has any information that a release is in the pipeline.

It is usually because lots of people have searched for a particular title, so Amazon create a "placeholder" entry in their listings. So that IF the title ever does release, they have a ready-made advertising system in place because so many people wil lautomatically get emails from Amazon about a title they have expressed an interest in.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It should also be noted that even if you sign up for notification, you may not be informed when a title does get a release, as Amazon has a habit of creating a new entry rather than using their existing placeholder. It can't hurt to sign up, but checking back now and then isn't a bad idea either.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the posts here. I've signed up for some "wish list" releases but I have found, for me, that the best method is to check "The Digital Bits" for movie news, and "TvshowsOnDVD" for TV/DVD release news. I usually check both of those sites daily for news release info.

I sure doesn't hurt to sign up at Amazon for the auto e-mail's, though, most of the time I hear about releases at the two mentioned sites before receiving the e-mail notification's.

Beth, I check your Australian online store often ("EZDVD") for R2/4 releases. I like that outlet which seems to have above-average Cust communication.

Hello from Dallas. TX :)

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I don't know. They claim it alerts the studios that there is a market for that particular film.

So guys, please go here and vote:
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Killing-Gr...2386208&sr=1-1

I was hoping this would come out last year when they released Blume In Love. But with a remake coming out of this movie next year, maybe that will do more to get the film released. At any rate, it didn't have its own pageholder before; now it does.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that link goes to imdb pro.
i ain't paying for imdb.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Don't blame you a bit! Anyway, it's a remake coming next year, and I hope it ferrets out a release of the George Segal one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
patty since that pro stuff doesnt let anyone see the info can you let us know who is in the remake and who is dir/

btw i'm surprised original isnt on dvd.

i saw it on an hd cable channel earlier this year.
i'd buy it if it was available.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Ha! I didn't pay for it either, so I don't know who's in it.

But my husband and my sister love this movie and check for its release almost weekly. That's the only reason that I knew a page had recently been created on Amazon for it.
I'm going to see what I can find out about the remake, cause I'd love to know who is going to do Robert Morley's role.
edited to add: Oliver Platt is Max.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks