What's new

Question About Amazon Video (1 Viewer)

stevenHa

Second Unit
Can someone who knows comment on the quality of classic movies on Amazon in HD - I see The Fountainhead, Naked Jungle, The Flame and the Arrow listed - are these legitimate HD films or is it usually SD upconverted (I need my fix while I wait for more classics to come out on blu ray) ?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I streamed the 1948 The Three Musketeers from Amazon Instant Video, and it was definitely SD upconverted (and a weak transfer at that). Your mileage may vary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Personally, I think Amazon is the worst of the streaming options. Some others might disagree, but I prefer Vudu and iTunes. Netflix is fine too. I own HD copies of The Naked Jungle and The Fountainhead from iTunes. I almost pulled the trigger on The Flame and the Arrow, but didn't for some reason I can't remember now.

Anyhow, speaking of The Naked Jungle, I haven't watched it since I got my OLED65E6P so I'm going to do so this weekend.

stevenHa

Second Unit
Would the quality vary from different services - wouldn't the source be the same coming from the studio ?

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I have Netflix and Amazon. My biggest gripe with Netflix is the actual availability of pre-1970 films in their streaming library, plus the fact they don't have a streaming purchase or rental option for films. Amazon has a much larger library of older films, plus they allow you to purchase or rent (usually for less than $5) any film they have, in addition to the free films you can view if you're a Prime member. As for quality, it's hit or miss with both. I've seen both great and terrible "HD" transfers on both.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Would the quality vary from different services - wouldn't the source be the same coming from the studio ?

Yes, I believe so. What I think Robert is saying is that, just because a movie is listed in HD from Amazon doesn't mean an actual HD master was created, it just means it's in 1080p. If it appears on OTHER streaming sites and if it also appears THERE then it's a safe bet that it's actually HD. I think.... ??

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The quality varies from service to service, even when the underlying master provided by the studio is the same.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The quality varies from service to service, even when the underlying master provided by the studio is the same.

Hmmmmm.... I wonder if that's why someone mentioned in another thread that DOWN ARGENTINE WAY (1940) looked "amazing" from iTunes but, when I bought it from Amazon I was decidedly underwhelmed with the too dark picture.....?

stevenHa

Second Unit
I know the Fountainhead has a nice blu ray in Europe - can someone who has seen it streamed (from Amazon) comment on the quality ?
Also, has anyone checked the Disney classic live action films from ITunes and Amazon and can comment on any differences in quality ? Thanks.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed a lot of older films on Amazon are either poor quality, or they are not running at the right speed. I am streaming through a new LG OLED. Also, they have colorized versions that are awful.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hmmmmm.... I wonder if that's why someone mentioned in another thread that DOWN ARGENTINE WAY (1940) looked "amazing" from iTunes but, when I bought it from Amazon I was decidedly underwhelmed with the too dark picture.....?
Assuming all things being equal with the transfer provided to each service, I prefer iTunes simply because you can download a file that doesn't get further compressed by service throttling. Amazon always starts the stream in SD and slowly works its way up to 1080p. Netflix does the same but is a little quicker getting to full resolution. Vudu actually streams high quality right from the start, but it can throttle down to low resolution if they detect low download speed from your Internet provider. All these services throttle quality based on bandwidth because they get more complaints when customers have buffering issues.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Assuming all things being equal with the transfer provided to each service ...

Yeah, I bought it from AMAZON and then rented it from Vudu and it was exactly the same. Oh well, another disappointing "new HD scan" from Fox. I'll stick with the SD DVD.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yeah, I bought it from AMAZON and then rented it from Vudu and it was exactly the same. Oh well, another disappointing "new HD scan" from Fox. I'll stick with the SD DVD.
Oh William... you needn't have wasted money on a rental. Sign up at MoviesAnywhere.com (for free), link your Amazon and Vudu accounts and then all your Amazon purchases* will be transferred to Vudu and vice versa.
I looked at Amazon's preview clip. Is it representative of what you get? Because it looks darn good to my eye.

* from participating studios which includes 20th Century Fox

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Assuming all things being equal with the transfer provided to each service, I prefer iTunes simply because you can download a file that doesn't get further compressed by service throttling. Amazon always starts the stream in SD and slowly works its way up to 1080p. Netflix does the same but is a little quicker getting to full resolution. Vudu actually streams high quality right from the start, but it can throttle down to low resolution if they detect low download speed from your Internet provider. All these services throttle quality based on bandwidth because they get more complaints when customers have buffering issues.
Mark,

If I download a movie on my computer or even my iPad or iPhone will I be able to watch the download on my TV by simply activating Home Sharing application? Also, when I press play on my AppleTV4 does it play the stream or the download from my computer?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Oh William... you needn't have wasted money on a rental. Sign up at MoviesAnywhere.com (for free), link your Amazon and Vudu accounts and then all your Amazon purchases* will be transferred to Vudu and vice versa.
I looked at Amazon's preview clip. Is it representative of what you get? Because it looks darn good to my eye.

No no, I specifically wanted to see if there was a difference between the versions found on each service so I had to do it that way. Besides, the vudu rental only cost me 99 cents.

It's hard to tell the quality of the clip since I'm looking at it on a different platform (computer monitor vs. TV) than the movie itself. All I know is the HD download is warmer and darker and with an oppressive black level that tamps down the color highs and obscures fine detail. The underlying picture is stronger and more stable in HD but with disappointing color. Unfortunately, the DVD is going to remain my preferred viewing experience.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Mark,

If I download a movie on my computer or even my iPad or iPhone will I be able to watch the download on my TV by simply activating Home Sharing application? Also, when I press play on my AppleTV4 does it play the stream or the download from my computer?

Yes to home streaming. To watch the downloaded version, you have to go to "COMPUTER" on the Apple TV rather than "MOVIES". 4K versions can only be streamed, not downloaded.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes to home streaming. To watch the downloaded version, you have to go to "COMPUTER" on the Apple TV rather than "MOVIES". 4K versions can only be streamed, not downloaded.
Thanks, that's what I thought as I watched the download of The Naked Jungle.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
No no, I specifically wanted to see if there was a difference between the versions found on each service so I had to do it that way. Besides, the vudu rental only cost me 99 cents.
No you didn't have to. Since you already owned the Amazon Instant Video version, joining MoviesAnywhere would have given you a free copy of the movie at Vudu. Everybody here LOVES MoviesAnywhere because all the titles you own get cross populated to different platforms.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No you didn't have to. Since you already owned the Amazon Instant Video version, joining MoviesAnywhere would have given you a free copy of the movie at Vudu. Everybody here LOVES MoviesAnywhere because all the titles you own get cross populated to different platforms.
Except for Paramount and Lionsgate titles which are not part of MoviesAnywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks