What's new

question about allied artists catalog (1 Viewer)

colorado ryan

Auditioning
Real Name
thomas
does anybody here know when warner bros is gonna release all the allied artists catalog from the 50s-70s?

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
They are releasing some in upcoming box sets and individually in their Cult Camp Classics collections on June 26th. I am also looking for some official releases of other AA titles - especially Horror and Sci-Fi.

Eric

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I would love to see The Toughest Man Alive (55) starring Dane Clark, one of the few films I have never been able to find anywhere at all.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Unless Criterion lost the rights to Shock Corridor and Naked Kiss then the answer is no.

ryanCollins

Stunt Coordinator
i'm waiting for the release of snowfire from 1958 as are a lot of other people i know. the allied releases are coming out this year and yrs after.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If all goes as planned, Twilight's Last Gleaming is due
to be released by year's end as part of a Burt Lancaster boxed set.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Hoping for the Complete Allied Artists WILD BILL ELLIOT Collection, in original glorious sepia tone. (and Wild Bill's detective series too.)

In some Western box office and popularity polls, in the 40's and 50's, Elliot was in the top five of western stars. He was an interesting actor and personality and his movies were fun and deserve to be seen.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

Bob: GREAT suggestion. I think the series of westerns that Elliot did for Allied Artists/Monogram were extraordinarily good for low budget features. Especially in westerns, Elliot seemed to project a degree of authenticity that seperated him from most of the other western stars. He seens in that respect similar to William S. Hart.

I would also highly recommend the release of some of the series of outstanding westerns that Rod Cameron did for Alllied Artists/Monogram, especially Panhandle (which was co-written by Blake Edwards), and Short Grass.

For some unfathomable reason, no one seems to be doing anything with these top notch Allied Artist/Monogram Westerns. I mean you they don't even play them on televsion any more.

Speaking of William Eliiot, another great group of westerns are the 10 big budget (by Republic Pictures standards) westerns he made for Republic in the 1946 to 1950 time frame. They would make a great DVD collection, however Lionsgate is so far doing nothing with all the Republic westerns it has in its library.

c Jim Bur

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Jim, Lions Gate is useless. At least Republic Home Video released on VHS, Rod Cameron's , RIDE THE MAN DOWN, John Derek's THE OUTCAST, and about 8 or 9 of Wild Bill Elliot's Republic output, including HELLFIRE, THE SHOWDOWN and THE PLAINSMAN AND THE LADY. Oh and VCI has the Elliot Republic Red Ryders out on DVD, but I have not gotten around to buying them yet.

I'd also like to see Rod Cameron's BRIMSTONE on DVD which was a nice 2 color Trucolor Republic.

And, Jim, there's a new Wild Bill Elliot Bio/Filmography being published by McFarland this Summer by Gene Blottner, who has written two books on Universal Westerns.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I echo your sentiments. I know a lot of western buffs who want to see these films respectfully treated on DVD. I suspect they are all committed to Encore Westerns channel for some time. Perhaps when that contract expires, they'll have a chance of being released to home video. I'm just speculating.

I've been trying to assemble a list of films shot in Trucolor and Magnacolor. I liked how the process was used to create atmosphere in Hellfire so I thought I'd look it up. This is one instance in which the imdb has not been all that helpful. Hellfire might be the best use of Trucolor that I've seen so far. It's a fine western, intelligent and believable. Anyhow, here's my working list:

01. * Hellfire (1949) Bill Elliot
02. Bill and Coo (1948)
03. Springtime in the Sierras (1947) Roy Rogers
04. Night Time in Nevada (1948) Roy Rogers
05. The Last Bandit (1949) Bill Elliot
06. Susanna Pass (1949) Roy Rogers
07. * Brimstone (1949) Rod Cameron
08. Rock Island Trail (1950) Forest Tucker
09. Eyes of Texas (1948) Roy Rogers
10. The Golden Stallion (1949) Roy Rogers
11. North of the Great Divide (1950) Roy Rogers
12. The Far Frontier (1948) Roy Rogers
13. On the Old Spanish Trail (1947) Roy Rogers
14. Trigger, Jr. (1950) Roy Rogers
15. Singing Guns (1950)
16. Down Dakota Way (1949) Roy Rogers
17. The Gay Ranchero (1948) Roy Rogers
18. Grand Canyon Trail (1948) Roy Rogers
19. Under California Stars (1948) Roy Rogers
20. Apache Rose (1947) Roy Rogers
21. The Plunderers (1948) Rod Cameron
22. Bells of San Angelo (1947) Roy Rogers
23. Belle of Old Mexico (1950)
24. This World of Ours: Bali (1954)
25. The Timber Trail (1948) Monte Hale
26. Sunset in the West (1950) Roy Rogers
27. California Firebrand (1948) Monte Hale

Any corrections or additions would be appreciated.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Ok, Richard, you caught me on a day I feel like typing.

There were 34 Trucolor THIS WORLD IS OURS releases and one cartoon called IT'S A GRAND OLD NAG by Bob Clampett. There may be other shorts or specials like BILL AND COO, I am not sure.

Here's a Republic Color Features list from Republic Confidential Vol.1:

The Bold Caballero (Natural Color/Magnacolor) 1937
The Sheik Steps Out (sepia)
Storm Over Bengal (sepia-lavender)
Home On The Range (Magnacolor) 1946
Man From Rainbow Valley (Magnacolor)
I've Always Loved You (Technicolor)
Out California Way (2 color Trucolor starts)

Last Frontier Uprising 1947
Apache Rose
Bells of San Angelo
That's My Gal
Springtime In The Sierras
Along The Oregon Trail
On The Old Spanish Trail
Under Colorado Skies

The Gay Ranchero 1948
California Firebrand
Under California Stars
The Timber Trail
Eyes Of Texas
Night Time In Nevada
Grand Canyon Trail
The Plunderers
The Far Frontier

The Red Pony (Technicolor) 1949
The Last Bandit (2 color Trucolor continues)
Susanna Pass
Hellfire
Brimstone
Down Dakota Way
The Golden Stallion

Bells Of Coronado 1950 (Artisan/Lions Gate did release this on DVD)
Singing Guns
Belle Of Old Mexico
Twilight On The Sierras
Rock Island Trail
Trigger Jr.
Sunset In The West
North Of The Great Divide
Trail Of Robin Hood (last 2 color Trucolor produced)

Oh! Susanna 1951
Honeychile (first 3 color Trucolor)

Oklahoma Annie 1952
I Dream Of Jeanie
Woman Of North Country
The Quiet Man (Technicolor)
Toughest Man In Arizona (3 color Trucolor continues)

Ride The Man Down 1953
The Lady Wants Mink
Fair wind To Java
Sweethearts On Parade

Jubilee Trail 1954
Laughing Anne
Johnny Guitar (first improved 3 color Trucolor)
The Outcast
Trouble In The Glen

Doctor In The House 1955
Timberjack
Yellowneck
Santa Fe Passage
The Road To Denver
The Last Command
A Man Alone
Flame Of The Islands
In Old Vienna

Doctor at Sea 1956
Come Next Spring
Magic Fire
Zanzbuku
Circus Girl
The Maverick Queen
Dakota Incident
Thunder Over Arizona
Lisbon
Daniel Boone,Trailblazer
A Woman's Devotion
Accused Of Murder

Tears For Simon 1957
The Congress Dances
Spoilers Of The Forest
Pawnee

I think this is a release date list so during transition periods, whether a individual film was 2 or 3 color Trucolor I can't tell.

I hope this helps you out,Richard.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thank you, Bob Gu, your list nails it down for me. I didn't realize there were so many films shot in Trucolor, or that the process was still being used up to 1957. I've seen many of them. Some of them I've taped off the Encore Westerns channel. Last night I watched Hellfire again after reading your posts.

Why not address a post to Lionsgate. State your position, then Define and package a DVD set for them. Do their thinking for them. It might work.

I can't imagine people not wanting to buy the Republic and Allied Artists catalogues. These films are among the most popular crowd pleasers of all time.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Your welcome Richard. You know, I have taken a look at the Lion's Gate message board in the past, thinking about posting a question about what exact Republic titles they have the rights to, but after looking over the site, I don't think anybody from 'management' actually posts there.

For all we know, Paramount might still have the Elliots, Rod Camerons, and Roy Rogers films.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
If you mean the first one, when is the entirety of 3 decades worth of AA catalogue gonna be released, the answer is probably never!

WB have barely scratched the surface of there own and the RKO back-catalogue's from that era, if you were more specific in your question's - ie what titles you are interested in then someone may have an idea if it's likely or not, and if so when.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks