Question about albert finney version of scrooge

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Heather C., Apr 11, 2004.

1. Heather C.

Heather C. Auditioning

Hi,

I have a question about the Albert Finney version of scrooge that has been driving me nuts since I first picked up the dvd this Christmas. This movie has always been one of my all time favorites, and it had not even televised here in years, so I was thrilled to see it released on DVD. However once I watched it, I couldn't help fell that it was missing some scenes, but maybe I'm just confusing it with another version of the movie. The scenes im thinking of are the one where the Ghost of Christmas Present lifts his robes to reveal the children to scrooge, the other scene is during the Ghost of Christmas future visits. After Scrooge has died and the people are trying to sell his belongings. Does anyone remember these scenes in the original version of this movie and it has just been edited out of the dvd, or am I just confused?? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Heather C.

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The scenes you mention have never been a part of this movie.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The scene with the robe was never in that film.

This is in the film.

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

We see that Scrooge has died. The film goes immediately into the Thank You Very Much number, and directly from there to the Ghost of Christmas Future directing Scrooge to the cemetary. There is no scene of Scrooge's goods being sold.

5. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    To Heather: the scenes you describe with the children under the robe and the selling of Scrooge's belongings are both in the 1951 British version starring Alastair Sim as Scrooge.

I think the Finney version is great, but nothing will ever top the Sim version. Not only is it the best, it's also the scariest: that scene with the children was very frightening to me as a kid and it still is.

Ghost of Christmas Present: This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both but most of all, beware of this boy.

Scrooge: But have they no refuge? No resource?

Ghost: Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Those scenes are also in the George C. Scott version from the 1980's. It's flawed, but a good version overall.

7. Heather C.

Heather C. Auditioning

Thanks everyone, glad to have my memory cleared up [​IMG]

Heather C.