What's new

Question about adding an amp (1 Viewer)

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have a stupid question. I'm guessing if I add an amp to power my front speakers this will reduce the load on my receiver. Is that correct? If I never push my system to my receiver limits will I see any benefit adding an amp?

On a side note, what do you think about the Onkyo M-282 amp? Thanks!

brendy

Agent
No question is stupid when you want to learn.Yes,that is correct.Depends a lot on the speakers (ohm/sensitivity rating) and how loud you listen.The M-282 is a good amp.

Westly T

Second Unit
Many times a better, more powerful amp WILL sound better even at low levels, far below the limits of the amp. This is especially true for difficult loads.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. Somehow I missed the responses earlier.

Will the amp change the sound of the speakers like a change in receiver brand can? BTW, I'm using a yamaha RX-V630 paired with Boston CR speakers.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Adding an amp more than anything, will give you peace of mind and an increase in type of speakers you may want to add later.
Max out the performance and safty of your receiver and at the same time improve(probably) the performance of your present speakers.
Weather you notice a change or not, you will deffinatly have the feeling that all is well with your HT.
I think everyone should own at least one 2-channel amp. It's the only piece of equipment you will ever buy that will not be outdated and can easily last a lifetime.
IMO- add an amp.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
How can you add an amp to an existing 5.1 or 6.1 setup?
If the signal is leaving your existing receiver, aren't you powering it and sending a POWERED signal to an amp? Then amplifying it again?
Won't this cause an adverse effect?
Would you want to power your mains only? Sorry for the Q's guys... but I'm trying to understand...I know people do this, but am curious how.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

The receiver most likely has an unamplified RCA output jack for each channel that can be connected to a separate amp.

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
I would also advise someone to start at 200W per channel @ 8 Ohms to realize the true benefits of an external amp. The more headroom you have the better it generally sounds.

mackie

Supporting Actor

All things being equal it's better to have more power than you need, but a 200 watt amp will only play 3 dB louder than a 100 watt amp.

As has been listed above a few things to consider when adding an amp:

Speaker Sensitivity
Speaker Efficiency - Ohm
Do you use a powered sub and what is the cross-over point?
How loud do you listen
How big is your room
Room acoustics

If someone is using a 8 ohm speaker with a 90 dB sensitivity with a powered sub crossed over at 80 Hz in an average sized room, I'd say a 200 watt amp doesn't add much if anything over a 100 watt amp.

However, if you use full range speakers that can truly play down to 20 hz has a sensitivity of 85 dB and is a 4 ohm speaker, I'd recommend a 200 watt or more amp.

It really is all relative, but amps do last a long, long time and all things being equal it's better to have too much power than not enough. You just need to make sure the extra costs of the extra watts is worth any improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks