question about adding amp to receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Treinen, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

I've got a denon 3802 and am considering adding an amp for either two, three or five channels. I realize anything will probably help but at what power level should I be looking as a minimum? I know the receiver is rated at 110wpc for all seven but obviously not with all seven driven. Would (for example) a Parasound 855a make enough of a difference at 85wpc or should I not go that low?

Thanks!

2. DaleV

DaleV Agent

What speakers are you using?

3. Brian Treinen

Speakers are Polk RTA11t mains, CS400i center, f/x 500i surrounds and RT25i rear surrounds. The 11t's are 6 ohms the rest are 8, everything is right about 90db efficiency.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Brian,

I too have the polk RTA11tl and 3802. I've tried many different amps (adcom, HK, rotel) from 100 to 200 watts/ch stereo.

IMHO, any amp you add will greatly improve stereo performance of the 3802. those amps are very weak. even a nice 50 or 70 watt amp will give you a marked improvement in punch

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Brian,
    I use a Pioneer Elite M-10X amp to drive the rear channels on my system. It sounds great. [​IMG]

6. Brian Treinen

Anyone else??

7. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Brian, are you looking for 5 ch. amps also? I'm using Parasound 2205AT and love it. 220WPCx5. You might consider this one or the Sherbourn 5/1500a,Rotel 1095 or 1075. The Anthem's also get a lot of use. Outlaw sells some capable amps also. Check all of these out as they are in different price ranges. Those on this forum it seems favor the Parasounds,Sherbourn and Rotels. Also see Anthems,Audiogon,and Carvers. What price range are looking in?

8. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Sorry just reread your post and realized you are looking at 5 channel amps.

9. Brian Treinen

Dale, at this point I'm all over the map with what I'm looking for, ideally it won't be too much. I've got no problem with used either. I REALLY wish I hadn't sold my B&K ST202 now...[​IMG] Oh well.
    I guess the main question is if I get an amp like the Parasound 855 @ 85watts into 5 channels will it make a big difference over just using the receiver or should I be looking at 100+ wpc? I like to listen at close to reference for movies, but also have 2 channel music on a lot (50/50). The room is 12x20 and the 3802 seems to have no problem filling that with sound.

10. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Brian,

I would think a parasound 85x5 would make a big difference between the 3802 internals. You won't be losing anything and might actually gain some headroom.

11. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Brian, just noticed there is a Sunfire Cinema Grand over at www.audiogon.com for a minimum bid of $1099 new in the box. You might want to check out the amps for sale there. There's also a Sherbourn 5/1500 for $1350. Just a thought.

12. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

Brian, I recently added a Parasound 855 to my Outlaw 1050. I am powering the surrounds with the Outlaw and the fronts with my Parasound ...big difference in imaging and clarity. I picked up some faint ground loop hum, but it is not audible from my listening position so I am ignoring it ..for now [​IMG]

13. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Not sure what your price range is, but I have an Acurus A200x5 which is very nice. Got it for about $800 used. Acurus also makes nice 125Wx5 amps that sell for around $600-700. I am assuming you don't want to spend over a grand since you were looking at the 85Wx5 Parasound initially.

14. FrankB

FrankB Agent

15. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

I agree with FrankB. The biggest bang for the buck will come from adding quality external amplification to the front channels. Even a good external amp rated at 85W such as the Parasound that you are considering should provide a deeper soundstage than what you are experiencing. I'd suggest that you maintain similar amplification for the front 3 channels since differences between these channels can impact the front soundstage. If you can find a good 3 channel amp I'd say that you should go for it. However these are getting harder to find. I saw a post for the Acurus 200Wx3 (used) here. I'm sure that there are more if you do a search.
    Alternately, you could either add a 5 channel amp (for the front 3 channels and 2 side surrounds) and let the 3802 handle the rear surrounds (which it will do so effortlessly). There are many excellent choices in this field and you will be hard pressed to go "wrong".
    Finally, do not rule out used amps. Modern amps are built very well and buying a year or two old amp can represent a fantastic bargain. Some manufacturers (e.g. ATI) also extend warranty coverage to secondary users so you are also protected in these cases.

16. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

I just added a ROTEL RMB 1075 5-ch to my receiver and bi-amped my power hungry JAMO D570's and left the Marantz to power my rears . The result is fantastic. Plenty of tight, extended bass and crystal clear high's. Even in a bi-wired config and having the amp power all 5 speakers I noticed a big difference. Either the 1075 (5x120w) or bigger and better 1095 (5x200w) would do just nicely.

Incidently, the ROTEL/POLK combination is quite common here in Australia.

17. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter