Question about a standard definition (remember those?) TV

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking into buying either a 27" or 32" CRT monitor by the end of this year.....though a 32 incher might not happen because these are VERY quickly disappearing from A/V stores.

Anyhoo, I quickly realized most now include a digital tuner and in addition to that (this is getting to my actual question) there is a Dolby Digital logo on them plus a digital output on back.

For OTA broadcasts:

* do they switch between the 2.0 and 5.1 channel formats depending on the show or is it always just 2.0;

* this type of Dolby is compatible with typical A/V surround receivers, correct?

* in your opinion, how's the sound quality?

As a bonus question
does anyone know the data rate (kbps) of an OTA Dolby audio stream?

Any thoughts or links about this would be appreciated.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I have a digital tuner hooked to my analog CRT. It gives a 100% improvement on picture quality using my antenna. The sound does go between 2.0 and 5.1 depending on the programming you're watching. This can get frustrating as some of my local stations fluctuate significantly in the volume level of their programming between 2.0 and 5.1 -- and my system is calibrated, so I'm pretty sure it's the station's issue.

The sound quality is very good. It's not as good as movies, but they put less time into than they do for movies. Truthfully I notice the surround channels more during commercials than anything else. Often with sporting events I find the surround channels a little distracting because they are mixed funny -- e.g. they will have what seems to be one random fan (or group of fans) screaming or clapping in a surround speaker.

Overall though, I've really enjoyed using my digital tuner.

Do you have an antenna on your roof or just a set-top? Mine is a set-top and there are a few stations that I can get with analog, but not digital -- granted it is snowy with analog, but it's still watchable. I've remedied this by using a splitter to run one line to my TV and the other to my tuner and switching as necessary.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Seth: thanks for all that info.

For now, I can only use a table-top antenna. We're in a rented house right now but am in "negotiations" with the owner about installing a medium sized outdoor antenna.

BTW: in about 2 years I will buy a good HDTV, probably around 50". Right now they just aren't worth it for me & I'm waiting for the technology itself to settle down..........and cable/dish prices are ridiculous and am on the verge of canceling even our basic cable - I just don't watch TV enough to justify those prices (most of the channels are filler anyway). Plus most of my favorite classic TV shows are 4:3 ratio and I have yet to see a stretch mode on a 16:9 monitor that doesn't generate an effect like a fun house mirror. But I am looking forward to watching my movie collection in its all large widescreen glory.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
go to antenna web.. that will tell you the distance the towers are from your house. depending on signal strength you may be able to get away with a good UHF indoor antenna. You'll see by the Frequency Assignment (last column)Most Digital stations are broadcast in the UHF spectrum

http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Just type in your address and zipcode..

you don't have to do the name, email, and uncheck the 2 prechecked boxes and hit submit...
next page verifys your location by map.. if you need to adjust it just move left/right/up/down on the map.
Hit Continue....and Wahla!
it will give you the exact distance from your address to all the towers in your area.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the antenna location advice!

According to their charts, I will probably only need a "Small Multidirectional Antenna". Though the geeky side of me wanted to be told I need something cooler, like a 5ft foot multi-element directional type with a rotator, all mounted on a small tower.....and topped off with a blinking red light.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtW34