question about 5.1 ch

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kevin G., Dec 6, 2003.

1. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Have Onkyo's DV-CP701 6-disc dvd w/optical cable for my digital connection. Last night I rented Pirates of the Carribean and was dissappointed in the rear channel sounds.(not much going on 'cept music)
    I hit the audio button and it read:"Eglish-dolby digital 2.1/ch"

what's going on here? my setup for the dvd and my receiver both say 5.1ch and I ran through all the other options for the playback(they included French and dts modes, as well as the recordings with the audio commentaries)

This is not the first time I've noticed this & It's bugged me since I purchased it, but most of the time I,m very pleased with the playback(I rented T3 and was amazed at the information sent to the rear channels. Also bought X2 box set w/Xmen and very happy with that.)

Is this just onkyo's description or should I hunt down a problem?

thanks everyone

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You're not making clear which menus you are talking about — the disc's or the machine's.

If your receiver is indicating Dolby 2.1, you obviously have Dolby Digital and/or "bitstream" enabled. Therefore, the problem seems to be that you did not select the correct option on the disc's audio-setup menu. Many discs feature a Dolby 2.1 track for proper mixdown to two-channel stereo when playing through a nonsurround system.

Look more closely at the disc's audio options. What you're looking for is "Dolby Digital 5.1" or "Dolby Digital Surround."

As for surround sound itself, remember that not all films have a lot of "action" taking place in the rear channels.

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Sorry, It was clear to me when I posted! hehe[​IMG]
    I meant the dvd audio button/on the on-screen display; it read the 2.1/ch.

the reciver did say 5.1 and the dvd was setup for 5.1 but when displayed it said 2.1

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Kevin is right, there is definately something screwy on the POTC DVD. On my HTPC, I initially ran it in Dolby 5.1. My receiver reported Dolby 5.1, it sounded like Dolby 5.1. I went to my HTPC menu (ala ZoomPlayer) to change to DTS, and it showed it was Dolby 2.0, with NO OTHER OPTIONS.

I went back to the audio setup and selected DTS 5.1, and restarted the movie. Now the receiver shows DTS 5.1, and Zoomplayer showed I was using DTS 6-channel, and gave me choices for Dolby 6-channel, as well as several other modes...

- Jack

6. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

on the reciever's faceplate(I don't have a high end reciever w/ on-screen...yet, but it does have true 5.1 and pro logic as well as some phantom modes)The receiver does detect 5.1 recordings. I'm not even able to select 5.1 unless it can detect it on the disc.

I'm not so sure it's the movie(although from Jack's post maybe that's why it was so noticeable to me)as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have noticed it(the display) in other movies that sound great, and before I start each movie, I go into it's menu and select 5.1.

7. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

Sounds to me that the DEFAULT audio on the POTC DVD is DD 2.0 (not uncommon). You either need to select 5.1 in the DVD (not the player) menu or with the AUDIO button on the DVD player remote. This happens on some discs even if the player and receiver are set to 5.1 or AUTO detect.

8. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Nope. When Dolby 5.1 is selected, it works fine, shows up as Dolby 5.1 on the receiver, but the DVD player/HTPC software will still show Dolby 2.0. I'm pretty sure this is a DVD problem. Maybe even only certain ones. As previously mentioned, DTS shows up fine everywhere.

- Jack

9. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

hmmm.

I'll continue to monitor this pretty closely, rented Bruce Almighty last night, not a high action movie so I really didn't check to see if the soundtrack was playing back in 5.1
    I was just curious if there was a connection problem or maybe a problem with my player

10. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

ok I'm back, haven't rented many movies lately, with the holiday shopping and all, but last night I rented "The Recruit" and checked everything out before starting the movie.

Here goes, the main setup screen foer the dvd player has everything onscreen, made sure it was setup for digital out.
    Has linear pcm(whatever that means, I checked my owner's guide and made sure it was switched to the right mode) and a bitstream mode that lets you switch it from 96(hz or khz?) to 48/disabled that.

Started the player and went into the movie menu and selected 5.1...selected 5.1 on my receiver, and with a huge butterfly in my gut...hit display. Damn!!!!!!! no difference, the player still said english dolby digital 3/2.1 ch

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!! CAN ANYONE HELP ME????????
    please...

11. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

12. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    He has an Onkyo, but other than that, I was gonna say the same thing about "3/2.1"

13. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Hey Jeremy,
    thanks loads for the input.
    No it's an Onkyo, but everything you said makes sense.
    Yes, I have been very pleased with the sound, but was wondering if I was missing something? and perhaps had something hooked up wrong.
    For now I am enjoying my new Paradigms and renewing my zest for music. (I have recently started listening to everything in two-channel again, and am WOWed by the sound resonating from those little monsters)

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

15. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

16. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new Panny and it shows the "3/2.1" figure for DD and DTS 5.1 soundtracks... I thought something was up too! A quick look in the manual and listen of some of my favorite disks showed me the truth! [​IMG] An odd designation for sure, but I think your only problem is Pirates didn't have a lot going on in the rear channels anyway. If you say not much was going on except music, then you were hearing the correct 5.1 mix. It isn't very surround intensive (save a few scenes).

17. Aries Iskandar

mine is pioneer..it always indicates 3/2.1 although at marantz all the channel for 5.1 light up[​IMG]

18. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

I've got the same DVD player and you're correct it shows 5.1 as 3/2.1.