QUESTION about 480p vs 720p.....and xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

The new tv I am getting (Toshiba 36hf72) only does 480p and 1080i. Now I know there are some xbox games that do 720p. Since this tv does not accept this signal will it just display it in 480p instead which the game will also support?

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Yep.

-Dave

3. Dave Mark

Dave Mark Stunt Coordinator

It depends on what the TV does with a 720p signal. The TV will either upconvert the native signal to 1080i or downconvert to 480p. For example, Sony "upper-end" TVs usually upconvert while the others downconvert. The owner's manual should specify.

An interesting thread started a while back insinuated that a user was getting a better picture out of Tony Hawk 4 by sending a 720p signal from the xbox to the TV and downconverting it than by sending the native 480p signal. I have never played any 720p games on my Sony KP51HW40 (it downconverts) but it might be interesting to try.

4. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

6. Edi

Edi Extra

All,

I have a Mitsu 55859 HDTV that supports 1080i. I enabled my xobx for 1080i but the TV does not switch when I am in the game. Is Halo 1080i comp? I know the TV is and so is the Xbox. Any thoughts?

PS I also have HD pack and the Xbox is connected to the correct DTV input.

7. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Edi, your Mits accepts 480i/p and 1080i, and your X-Box is capable of outputting 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i.

But the X-Box will only a) play the maximum resolution a game offers, and b) only output on resolutions you have enabled (in the X-Box video configuration screen) and that the game can support.

So, let's say you bought a game that can display 480P and 720P, and you have enabled all HD resolutions in the X-Box video configuration screen. The only resolutions that you will see is either 480i or 480P (the difference being the two is when you use the standard video cable vs. the HD cable).

Even though the game [in this example] supports 720P and you have 720P turned on in the X-Box you will not get 720P displayed since your Mits (and mine) doesn't support it. Now, as far as I know there is only one game for the X-Box that offers 1080i (Dragon's Lair 3D).

The X-Box (nor any other console platform) does not perform independent scaling. What do I mean by this? Well, if a game support 720P and you Mits supports 1080i you should NOT expect the X-Box (or any other console) to scale the output of the game to 1080i.

This is a gaming console with a secondary function as a basic DVD player. Of course, you could buy a DLP-based Mits RPTV that uses the HD1/HD2 DMD and have at it.