Question about 4:3 TVs with vertical squeeze mode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Rochkind, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

(Sometimes also called widescreen mode.)
    My 4:3 Samsung TV couples two things together: (1) stretching the anamorphic image from the DVD player, and (2) putting all the scanlines in the middle part of the screen.
    Now for the question: Are there any 4:3 TVs that can do #2 along with zooming the image, instead of stretching horizontally? This would be perfect for letterboxed (non-anamorphic) DVDs.
    Anyone know?

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Why would you want to do that?

3. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

But your TV does not actually do #1, only #2. When you play an anamorphic DVD, your player sends out a widescreen image. All your TV does is scrunch it down in the middle so the aspect ratio is right; it does not stretch it wide.
    A non-anamorphic letterboxed image is sent out by your player for a 4:3 TV. If you scrunch that down, all it will do is make the letterboxed image very short. And if you zoomed in on that, it would cut off the sides.
    [Edited last by Oren on October 11, 2001 at 07:54 PM]

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Thanks, Oren! Of course... that's the way it works. Obvious, now that you've explained it! :)

5. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Hmm. One thing I noticed while testing Toy Story last night on this new Hitachi 32udx10s is that when I hit the Aspect button and filled the screen, I didn't lose any side detail, but the figures appeared elongated.
    I don't know if this is the same thing you're asking about or not.
    I'm still trying to figure this out myself.
    ------------------
    --RR

6. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

First, be sure you are playing the widescreen side of the TS DVD. They reworked the movie so that even in pan and scan (nearly) all the side info is brought closer in and visible.
    Assuming you're using the anamorphic side, then it sounds like your DVD player is set for a widescreen TV and you're using a regular 4:3 TV. When you turn off the "widescreen mode" then the lines are no longer being focused in the middle and the scenes looked stretched vertically. Obviously, if you had a widescreen TV (or used the widescreen mode to simulate one) then it comes out right.

7. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Oren,
    I think my version has only one choice of sides to play. I've seen DVDs with both sides playable.. but this one doesn't indicate anything.
    Just the back of the case says: Widescreen (1.77:1) - enhanced for 16x9 tv. THX certified..
    Do I have an older disk? I think it was a recent gift to my 4 year old daughter.. so it was likely bought at the Disney Store.
    The TV is 4:3. Should I have the DVD set to 16:9 or 4:3 (P&S or letterbox)?
    Thanks.
    ------------------
    --RR

8. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

Rick, your set does the squeeze, so you should set your DVD player at 16:9 and leave it there. If the people look too thin, turn the vertical squeeze on (anamorphic "enhanced for 16x9".) If the people look too fat, turn the vertical squeeze off (nonanamorphic "letterboxed for widescreen".) Or maybe your set will do it automatically.
    Some Hitachi sets fake the squeeze by basically doing the same thing as the DVD player does in 4:3 mode for anamorphic content, dropping out one of every four scan lines. I don't think yours fakes it, but even if it does you should probably set the DVD player to 16:9, since squeeze-faking Hitachi sets do a better job of rescaling the video than most DVD players.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

9. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Correction: I meant the Bug's Life DVD, so ignore that bit about using the right side.
    Yep, as Abdul says, set your player to widescreen and your TV to "squeeze."
    If you set your player to 4:3 pan and scan (and your TV to not squeeze), then you'll get the full vertical resolution but the sides will be cut off.
    If you set your player to 4:3 letterbox (and your TV to not squeeze), then the sides won't be cut off but you'll only get 75% of the vertical resolution.