What's new

question about 2 channel music with a 5.1 HT setup (1 Viewer)

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

As of right now, I don't own a cd player. I have a 5.1 setup that I watch my movies on. It sounds fantasic now that I got a chance to run through the avia disk with a RS SPL meter. My question is, when I get a cd player, will I be able to listen to music using only my two fronts (no surrounds or sub)? I want to hear what the best speakers in my setup really sound like with no interference from my other speakers.

Will it automatically do that by selecting CD from my receiver? (Yamaha RX-V1000)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Yes. Just be sure to select to F/X off if it doesn't default to that or the receiver will try to decode surround sound in Dolby Pro Logic.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yep. just make sure to turn off any sort of dsp (including dd/dts), etc.

my onkyo does this cool thing where it remembers what kind of sound-setup i like for each input. so when i hit the cd button, it goes to 2-ch. when i hit the multi-ch button it goes into surround mode.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I like to hear boys! Until I get my lazy butt out there and demo some players, do you think by turning off any DSPs, my dvd player will only play in 2 ch?

I only ask before trying because I haven't had time to get home and play around. Spending too much time with the girlfriend, and not enough time with my toys (I think they miss me). lol

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have a Yamaha HTR-5250 (much lower on the Yammie totem pole than yours) and it remembers DSP settings for each input. For example, my CD changer input is set to stereo sound while the DVD input is set to DD/DTS. I imagine that your model will also remember the settings that you select for the different inputs.
Now if you could just combine playing with toys and spending time with your girlfriend, you might be on to something... :D

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Dave,
You sure can play CDs thru your mains right now thru the DVD player using DVD on the Yamaha Input Mode and engaging EFFECTS OFF or STEREO depending on your model.
You will be getting a digital feed to the Yamaha whose own chips will decode the music and still keep the sub channel active.
Once you go to a separate CD player, you'll be using (two) analog cables into the Yamaha and a slightly less digital-conversion path. I'd say neither is "better" but you'll have to listen.
bill

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for everything guys! You've never let me down yet.
Maybe I could somehow incorperate spending time with my girlfriend and my toys. Or not. Ahh, a man can dream, can't he? :)

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
Hey dave,

You try music with the sub.

Just calibrate the sub for music listening.

It's nice to know that audiophiles still exist.

ANother option for DVD multipurposing.

Have the dvd players digital out go to the digital in for dvd receiver input AND have the analog 2 channel audio out hooked up to the cd input of the receiver.

If your receiver remembers for audio setting for separate functions than you in the zone. But the analog connection usually sounds better than the digital connection especially when using an optical connection (yeakkchh)

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks