Question about 1776 & availability

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Williams, Jun 16, 2002.

1. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

The thought just occured to me while reading Video Tropic's future release list: Is the 1776 dvd going to be readily available at mass market on 7/2? Anyone out there got the inside scoop on if stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart etc. will be widely carrying this? Should I pre-order it instead?
    In my own mind, with 1776 being my favorite movie, I kind of built it up in my head as the biggest release on that date, with no trouble finding it hawked in the sunday sale papers (:b) . Now I'm not so sure... I mean, logically, it makes for a great 4th of July push in marketing terms, OTOH, it's a 30 year old catalog title. Thoughts?

2. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I'll be very surpised if there is a big push for "1776" in the stores. As wonderful a film as it is, outside of serious film or broadway musical circles, very few people have even heard of it. When it's shown on tv, usually the listings make it sound boring which is too bad. Most people who have seen it love it, but the trick is getting them to watch it. If I see more than a few copies in Best Buy I'll be amazed. I don't think "Harry Potter" needs to worry about being pushed off the shelf. I'm covered, I got mine on pre-order.

3. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I would imagine you will definately see this at least in Best Buy and CC and Tower Records Suncoast, etc, if not Wal Mart Target and K Mart level stores.

Columbia is behind this release

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I'm often surprised by what Best Buy doesn't carry. Although not Columbia titles, I still can't find Tin Men, Ruthless People or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon at any of the several Best Buy's I've visited. And I was shocked not to find the very popular Real Genius last week, although I did come across it at Suncoast and Sam Goody stores, albeit at full price.

5. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

And I have yet to see The Harvey Girls.

6. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

The Harvey Girls IS out there- I saw it at at Tower Records in the DVD area...

Rafael

7. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    I was surprised to see that best buy doesn't carry (I mean, not even in their computer system) the Blackadder DVDs or Remains of the Day. Granted, they aren't exactly major releases, but since I've seen many Criterion DVDs there, this seems odd.