What's new

Question about 1776 & availability (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The thought just occured to me while reading Video Tropic's future release list: Is the 1776 dvd going to be readily available at mass market on 7/2? Anyone out there got the inside scoop on if stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart etc. will be widely carrying this? Should I pre-order it instead?
In my own mind, with 1776 being my favorite movie, I kind of built it up in my head as the biggest release on that date, with no trouble finding it hawked in the sunday sale papers (:b) . Now I'm not so sure... I mean, logically, it makes for a great 4th of July push in marketing terms, OTOH, it's a 30 year old catalog title. Thoughts?

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I'll be very surpised if there is a big push for "1776" in the stores. As wonderful a film as it is, outside of serious film or broadway musical circles, very few people have even heard of it. When it's shown on tv, usually the listings make it sound boring which is too bad. Most people who have seen it love it, but the trick is getting them to watch it. If I see more than a few copies in Best Buy I'll be amazed. I don't think "Harry Potter" needs to worry about being pushed off the shelf. I'm covered, I got mine on pre-order.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I would imagine you will definately see this at least in Best Buy and CC and Tower Records Suncoast, etc, if not Wal Mart Target and K Mart level stores.

Columbia is behind this release

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I'm often surprised by what Best Buy doesn't carry. Although not Columbia titles, I still can't find Tin Men, Ruthless People or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon at any of the several Best Buy's I've visited. And I was shocked not to find the very popular Real Genius last week, although I did come across it at Suncoast and Sam Goody stores, albeit at full price.

RafaelB

Second Unit
The Harvey Girls IS out there- I saw it at at Tower Records in the DVD area...

Rafael

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I was surprised to see that best buy doesn't carry (I mean, not even in their computer system) the Blackadder DVDs or Remains of the Day. Granted, they aren't exactly major releases, but since I've seen many Criterion DVDs there, this seems odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunajohn1
Recent bookmarks