Question about 16:9 squeeze on Sony 32HS20

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil White, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I am very impressed by this set's picture when viewing an anamorphic DVD. I do have a question though. Is the raster compressed to different dimensions depending on the aspect ratio of the DVD being played? In other words, is a 2.35:1 movie squeezed more on the screen that one at 1.85:1? If not, does that mean the DVD player still has to generate some amout of black bars on those wider movies? This is really a general question about anamorphic - not related just to the Sony.

Can't believe I'm aksing this now but it never occured to me before.

On a different topic, this TV holds black levels extremely well. And I can't imagine masks would help here as the black bars are truly jet black.

N

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Yes, thin black bars on a 2.35:1 picture. When you connect a DVD player to a TV with vertical squeeze, you set the DVD player to 16:9 mode. Neither the DVD player nor the TV are aware of the 2.35:1 aspect ratio; they treat the picture like 16:9.

3. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I wonder if anyone ever experiences different shades of black between the actual lack of scanning and the black bars generated by the DVD player for those transfers narrower than 16:9. I don't notice it on my Sony.

N

4. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Neil,
    The TV does not provide different amounts of squeeze depending on the aspect ratio of the source. The TV does 4x3 or 16x9 AR's. An anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer is still squeezed to 16x9 proportions - It's just that it requires more lines of resolution on black bars to "letterbox" the image in a 16x9 aspect. In other words, all anamorphic DVD's are displayed in a 16x9 aspect ratio.
    Since you have a Sony set, check out our forum over at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/
    We have tons of info, tips and tweaks.
    -Ryan Dinan

5. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but I used the black bars on a 2.35:1 DVD to further tweak my brightness settings after using AVIA.

I noticed in a dark room that I could barely see the black bars on a 2.35 film when in 16:9 mode. I turned down the brightness until I couldn't distinguish the black bars from the non-used portion of the screen (one click below the setting when the bars were visible). I figured that if I could distinguish "black" bars from the unused portion of the screen, I was probably cooking my tube.

It seems to have produced a pretty decent setting that corresponds with AVIA patterns. DVD's look great.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Those lighter "black" bars within the 16:9 window are inevitable, depending on the aspect ratio of the film. If the film were shot in 1.78:1, the image would fill the entire 1.78:1 (aka, 16:9) window.

But you shouldn't see them as lighter-shaded bars; that means you're overdriving the set. Turn down the white and black levels until the "secondary" black bars blend in seamlessly with the unused portion of the screen.