Question about 15” sub drivers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jim-Luc, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Jim-Luc

Jim-Luc Extra

Ok for this box what 15” driver would work best for my home theater for under $500
    Klipsch KP-115-SW-8G . It is 24.5” tall ,19.5” deep, 19” wide. it has four 15" ports in each corner and the area inside is about 5.11 cubic feet or 144.87 liters. All my speakers are Klipsch I have KLF 30's for the mains and my center is a Klipsch C-7. Let me know what kind of driver you guys think I should get for it,and also where to get it from, and any other words of advice.

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

3. Jim-Luc

Jim-Luc Extra

The ports are 15 inch long tubes, there are four of them ,one in each corner.There is one 15 inch hole in the center for the speaker. and I have thought about klipsch was just wondering if anyone had a better idea.

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

OK, but how WIDE are they? Also, the volume of the cabinet is probably less than you think. First, I'm not sure if you factored in the fact that the outer dimensions can't be used to find the internal volume. So, is the material used to make the box .5" or .75"? Also, we'll have to take into account any internal bracing (for a box that size, if there isn't any then I would not use it) and the space taken up by the ports and the driver. We're probably going to be looking at around 3.8-4.25ft^3. Let's find out all the measurements of the ports and go from there.

- Dan Hine

5. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

I would go here (Adire) and check out those driver. First of all you need a driver that fits in the hole of your cabinet. Then I would get myself this software (WinISD) and check out your cabinet design. See how does it do with different drivers... Hope this help...

Alex,

6. JimIroc

JimIroc Agent

Try to find a sub that will work in that enclosure volume first. If necessary, you can modify the port length to re-tune the enlcosure to better suit the new driver.

For giggles I tried a Dayton 15" Quatro sub in a 4.5 cubic foot ported enclosure. When tuned to 20hz, it provides a -3dB point of 25hz.

But... to get the tuning frequency out of 4 ports of 15" length, the port diameter would have to be 1.5".

If you can measure the inside diameter of the ports, it will give me enough information to model some different drivers and try to find a decent match.

7. Jim-Luc

Jim-Luc Extra

ok the ports are 4" wide go to the web sight below to see a picture

klipsch.com/media/Products/182_large.jpg

the box is made of 0.75" void-free plywood internally braced and lined with acoustical foam

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Eh...a Tempest would work OK if you blocked three or all of the ports. The enclosure would really be too small and some might say underported (I think it would be ok though) or you could block all the ports and use it as a sealed cabinet. I like how a Stryke AV 15 looks in it if you block all the ports. I think that is your best option if you want to use the box you've got. It is -3db at about 34hz which isn't bad for a sealed subwoofer. Factor in room gain and add in some EQ and you should be ok to the mid 20's or a touch lower.

9. Jim-Luc

Jim-Luc Extra

thought i might have to take out some of the ports. Is it better to have a ported or sealed sub?

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Tempest might work well in that ported enclosure. We are probably talking about just over 4 cubic ft after ports, driver, bracing, amp are all taken into effect.

Moving to DIY