What's new

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (1 Viewer)

Colin-H

Second Unit
Man. I'm excited for next week's episode, mainly because it looks like they're creating a swank bachelor pad. The straight guy looks close to my age.

The thing that's annoying me about this show now is the "money is no object" thing. The furniture (etc.) probably averages at least $10,000 an episode, the couture a few Gs, and even the skin and hair care products are probably $500. You can't get that kind of impact without pumping a load of cash into it.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The original culture guy, Blair, was on Howard Stern this morning and talked about his pending lawsuit. Basically, he was under contract and is suing for the year's worth of pay he should have been given. That amounts to about $100k.

He barely made an impression on the one episode I saw with him in it. Of course, that might be a product of editing to minimize his exposure.

And for those that might be thinking it, this is not a matter of sour grapes over the success of the show. The lawsuit was filed before the show went on aire. He's just trying to get what was promised to him in the contract.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I liked Carson's "Hip Tip" from the other night:

Your cell phone is not an accessory; remove it from your belt...NOW!

:laugh:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
those guys make 100k a year? man...not a bad gig.

where do i sign up? oh wait...isn't there some kind of pre-requisite? ;)

as far as the guy's lawsuit goes...was any mention made as to why he was let go? i wonder if he broke some sort of contractual obligation or requirement? if so, then i don't think his lawsuit will hold.

of all the positions (heh...) i think the culture angle is the weakest, followed by food. clothing, grooming, and decorating take the cake.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
They just wanted a different guy according to Blair. He didn't do anything wrong or break any rules. Blair thinks it was because NBC and Bravo didn't think he was gay enough.:laugh:

This might be true because he also revealed in the interview that he is a "top." This is a term I never heard before. Apparently there are some who like to only give and not receive.:b You learn something new everyday.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This might be true because he also revealed in the interview that he is a "top." This is a term I never heard before. Apparently there are some who like to only give and not receive.:b You learn something new everyday.
Some of us have led sheltered lives.:D For the record the 'options' are top, bottom, or versatile. This concludes Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Entertainment Weekly had a blurb about the show in this week's issue (9/19/03) on page 36, where they offer up the correct spelling for the Queer art of primping:

Tszujing

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
those guys make 100k a year? man...not a bad gig.
Only if they made 33 episodes -- and the original contract only called for 12 episodes in "The First Production Year".

The Smoking Gun posted a copy of Blair's contract the other day.

In a nutshell: "...Fab 5 members are only getting $3000 per episode during the show's first year, according to contracts signed months before the Bravo program's July debut. And the show's stars, who locked themselves into six consecutive one-year options, will be getting annual raises of just five percent, which works out to $3150 per episode next season and $3307.50 the following year. The "Queer Eye" deals are also virtually perk-free. For instance, if cast members have to travel, they'll be flying coach. And while given a relatively small piece of merchandising proceeds, the show's stars will not have their voice and/or likeness used to sell "firearms, alcoholic beverages, tobacco, lotteries, gambling products, intimate personal hygiene products, medication, and/or intimate apparel."

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
This might be true because he also revealed in the interview that he is a "top." This is a term I never heard before. Apparently there are some who like to only give and not receive. You learn something new everyday.
"You're the pitcher, I'm the catcher." -- Stimpy :)

Rob

Colin-H

Second Unit
Anyone see ads for Trading Spaces 100 Grand? I wonder if it's a reaction to Queer Eye... saying, "we can make rooms that look that good, too, if you take away the $1,000 restriction."

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Its funny I was turning the channels the othe rnight and theres already a Queer Eye Clone on TLC but there are two men and two Woman that help the one person per show.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
You mean Clean Sweep? If so, it's not as encompassing as Queer Eye nor as entertaining.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if it's a reaction to Queer Eye... saying, "we can make rooms that look that good, too, if you take away the $1,000 restriction."
yeah...that's probably what they're thinking.

but...

queer eye succeeds not just because they have a higher budget, but because the dude actually has a nice sense of style.

sometimes those folks on trading spaces are just out of this world. everyone refers to the infamous moss-on-the-wall episode by that whack chick. or some of those other "concept" rooms that just make you go wtf were they thinking!

you'd never catch the fab-5 doing that.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I don't watch Oprah so I hadn't heard about this, but apparently the Queer Eye guys were on her show yesterday and made a huge impression. I heard that a guy got all choked up after his style makeover from Kyan and Carson. Did anyone here catch this?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my girlfriend caught the oprah ep. she said it was pretty good too...but i didn't watch it.

Galen_V

Second Unit
While definitely not the best episode, I thought that tonights episode was by far the funniest 60 minutes I have seen on television in a couple of months. The last 20 minutes, especially when Alan was making the drinks, had me rolling on the ground crying, and I am not exaggerating. And you got to love Carson luring Alan out of the house with a penny-it was priceless (no pun intended).

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry I don't want to be mean, but Alan (straight guy from the 9/23 show) is an idiot. In two years he's never paid for a dinner or bought his girlfriend a gift???? Almost everything in his apartment was rubish from elsewhere. Sheesh.

He resisted a lot of the things the "Queer Eye" guys were doing for him.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Alan was a complete dolt. It is one thing to be frugal, and another to be obnoxiously cheap. Never taking your girlfriend of two years out to dinner? Never giving her a gift? You buy yourself an enormous house in a fairly pricy area but you don't buy her a gift?

And how on earth does a person who drinks (remember the Budwiser 40oz bottles in the beginning) get through college without learning the most rudimentary bar tending skills? Hilarious TV, but sad. His girlfriend should dump him, and get together with the guy who's soon to be live in girlfriend looked like a truck stop hooker. Better for both of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks