What's new

Queer As Folk (American) who owns it? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Talk to folks in the know at Warner Bros. (who disctributes Queer as Folk on Showtime) and they tell me they do not own video rights - how can we get this series on dVD?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
That is odd, since they are the distributors,
but I would seriously doubt Joe is wrong...so..
Who knows?
The only bright side of this, is since Warner Bros
TOTALLY BOTCHED both Gia and Eyes Wide Shut
(by only released R-Rated versions here in the US),
one CAN hope that maybe whomever owns video rights
to the US version of QAF may get an "unrated cut"
for the DVD release.
Mark

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Good to see you Joe! :)
It looks like Showtime owns it, and haven't sold the rights yet. Here's the URL for the production companies from the IMDB. Theoretically SOMEONE at those places should know
Oh, and if you like QAF-US, check out the far superior UK series. If you have R2/PAL capability, the UK discs are half the price, and don't contain the music edits that the US ones do (the US discs are anamorphic, but the picture quality is identical. Ironically QAF 2 IS anamorphic in the UK, but not here)
Jeff Kleist

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Michael-
wink.gif

Actually, Showtime has all of their shows rated by
the MPAA and won't show anything past a "hard R."
The word is that some parts of Queer As Folk
were trimmed...though how much depends on who you
talk to.
:)
Mark

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mark, I had read QAF's producers merely submitted "1-2 early episodes" to the MPAA for suggestions and nothing more.
What exactly does Showtime, a pay TV company, care about what the MPAA thinks since they rate motion pictures that get theatrical releases?
Showtime has aired it's share of straight softcore stuff, are we to assume that's edited in some way?
Regardless, if all that's left out was a few seconds of an actor's penis, I'm not going to complain.
Jeff, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. The UK QAF does not compare favorably with a full season of the US version.
The UK V. was like a happy meal. The US V. was a nice, home cooked dinner.
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they submitted the first couple to the MPAA to find what the limits are
The UK version had much better actors, and was funnier IMO. You just can't beat vince, I'll take him over Michael any day. Stuart would kick Brian's butt, and Mike's mom has NOTHING on Hazel :)
I would love to see a crossover ep, Spoiler:Vince and Stuart are in the US, why not?
Jeff Kleist

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to much better actors and greater wit, the UK version was also had writing than the US version, which had torturously horrible writing in every single episode. The UK version was breakthrough stuff; the US version was BAD television.
-Jerry

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
We are itching to have this DVD set in my household. I only have a few items on my wishlist : 16:9 Anamorphic. Include the "special edition" or redo true running commentary on a few episodes.
I hope we'll see a DVD release before season 3 gears up. I would be thrilled for one before or during season 2 but I think that's unlikely. I've recorded season 1 on videocasette (until I can get the DVDs)... I'd like to record season 3 over season 1 so I don't have a room full of magnetic media.
If this is a not a Warner Brothers property, I can only think of one thing: No snappers WOO HOO :>.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Marc Daege

Auditioning
The distributor on this title is Wolfe Video (Catalog # D3505). The original release date was 5/8 but it seems that it was somewhat limited as we have been unable to get additional copies after the initial shipment. IMAGE had sold this title as a "ONE-WAY" sale to retailers/e-tailers, meaning you could not return any copies once they had shipped.
Hope this helps
Marc-The Laser's Edge

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The distributor on this title is Wolfe Video (Catalog # D3505). The original release date was 5/8 but it seems that it was somewhat limited as we have been unable to get additional copies after the initial shipment.
That date doesn't wash as the season finale was in late June. I REALLY hope that Wolfe has nothing to do with this title as they have never released anything anamorphically enhanced to my knowledge. They also are more than happy to release a title in Pan & Scan and I imagine would not hesitate in releasing QAF in 4:3 as many people may not know that there are additional elements for 16:9.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me Wolfe has nothing to do with this title.... Anyone, anyone?
------------------
Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6

Marc Daege

Auditioning
John
Sorry about the confusion. The one that is on the market now is the BRITISH version, distributed by WOLFE.
Here is the description as listed on our site.
The original British QUEER AS FOLK series boldly goes where no other TV drama has gone before. It is an important story based around the lives of three young gay men that explores the intoxicating extremes of modern-day life and love. It's refreshingly non-judgmental and atypical in its avoidance of stereotype. With a delightful comic script drawing fine performances from the young cast, QUEER AS FOLK is a vibrant, vital and honest reflection of how gay life can be.
Stuart Jones (Aidan Gillen) has got it all. He's rich, drop-dead gorgeous and always the center of attention. He can be forgiven the arrogance because he's pretty close to perfection. His best friend Vince Tyler (Craig Kelly) is funny, adorable and definitely cute but, unlike his friend, has zero confidence in himself. Since time began, Vince has carried a torch for Stuart but his love remains firmly unrequited. They're both 29 and hitting the bars every night, but just starting to wonder where else their lives may be going. Then along comes Nathan Maloney. Young, wild and coming out with a vengeance, he crowbars his way into their world and once he arrives, nothing is ever the same again.
-Full Frame
-English Stereo Surround
-2-Disc Set
-LIMITED AVAILABILITY
All listings with distibitors mark it as "BRITISH VERSION"
Marc-The Lasers Edge

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know where I can get hold of a CD featuring just Murray Gold's score for the UK series? Not the disco mixes currently available, but just Gold's excellent music (especially that tune which accompanies the Nathan/Stuart first meeting, Episode One, on the C1TV DVD made for American/Canadian release).
Already pvt'd Mark on this one (thanks Mark), hoping some other QaF fans might have a clue.
Regards, J.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Moe-
This is just speculation, but here is
what I would do I owned the Dist rights:
Release a boxed set just prior (like a month)
before season 2 begins.
Why?
1) Raise awareness that Season 2 is underway,
while selling Season 1...maybe even same advertisement.
2) Showtime is/was running Season one over again,
with the cast commentary, so they want to milk
Season 1 all they can before it arrives on DVD.
3) If the commentaries are being done one episode
at a time, they will be done just about now.
4) As I recall, Season 2 was set to premiere in
January. So, Maybe the Tuesday before Thanksgiving
would be ideal for releasing these.
With films Showtime produced features
like A Girl Thing...
hitting DVD now, (It aired near the end of QAF's run),
I would think the DVDs of QAF are only
being held up to make the most of the release.
The show was obviously a success, or they wouldn't
have run the whole "Special Edition" thing.
STILL, we don't know who has distribution rights,
and e-mailing Showtime to get an answer won't help:
When I asked when Further Tales of The City
was going to air, back in October 2000, Showtime responded
by saying it wasn't even in development. (It aired during
QAF's run, and was produced by Showtime also.)
Just my thoughts,
Mark
[Edited last by Mark Walker on September 16, 2001 at 08:38 PM]

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Do you think maybe Showtime owns the rights to QAF?
After all, they owned the rights to Red Show Diaries and released them on DVD.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Darn, this post made me think Joe was back online ;(
In any case, I have not been able to ascertain who owns the video rights. I sent a letter to the production company though, so hopefully that will help
Jeff Kleist

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
They only ran 3 episodes of commentary. It was interesting enough, but repetitive, and not all that insightful. They are running again in Widescreen on Tuesdays, but I consistantly forget to tape/watch.
I'm interested enough in getting these on DVD to ask WB when the chat comes around, unless anyone knows for sure I'll be wasting my question on a Studio that doesn't have the rights. Perhaps they at least know who does.
------------------
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks