Queen's "The Game" on DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ryan Chron, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Ryan Chron

Ryan Chron Extra

I recently bought the new dvd-a release of Queen's "The Game" (rumored to be released on 4/29 but actually came out a month ago) and even though it has a great surround mix there appear to be a lot of problems with the disc. When listening to the 96/24 DTS soundtrack, the lyrics synch up with the music and, whenever the lyrics pages change, the music skips. The sound from all five speakers also fills with static in the middle of "Sail Away Sweet Sister" on DTS. I have also heard a weird clicking noise from all five speakers on the same song in MLP. I know the problem isn't my equipment since I have plenty of other dvd-audio titles that work fine including Queen's "A Night at the Opera". Has anyone else had these same problems with disc since they bought it? It's really pissing me off since I can tell the surround mix is really well done.

2. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I'm having the same problem, intermittently, of the dropouts when the lyric page advances. [​IMG]

I haven't noticed the "clicking" sounds, but I really haven't had time to sit down and thoroughly go over the whole disk.

I'm using a Toshiba SD-4700 player connected via optical cable to a Yamaha HTR-5560 receiver.

Cb

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Ok, let me try.

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I had the same problem playing the DTS track. I thought it was my DVD-Audio player.

The DVD-Audio 5.1 mix played fine, but when I found out that the DTS 5.1 mix was different than the DVD-Audio mix, I tried that.

I also noticed that there seemed to be clicks and dropouts at the automatic lyric page changes when listening to the DTS mix - and this was through the analog outs of the DVD-Audio player.

I guess I will stick with the DVD-Audio mix.

5. Ryan Chron

Ryan Chron Extra

6. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

On my RP-91 the DVD-A layer played flawlessly, although the lyrics pages did not automatically change, I had to go manual.

7. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Works fine on my panny car DVD-A player as well as my JVC and Kenwood players in the house. My only complaint is that they didn't include a full bit rate 2 channel track Grrrr.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Doug: Unless I'm mistaken, The Game has a 96/24 "regular" PCM stereo track that's playable on dvd-audio and dvd-VIDEO players.

LJ

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I just sent DTS Entertainment an e-mail about this.

LJ

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, thanks for sending that e-mail. Let us know if you hear anything back from them. Hopefully you will obtain a meaningful response.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Here is the response I received from DTS Entertainment today regarding these reported problems:

Dear Lance,

PLEASE POST THIS RESPONSE INTO YOUR E-MAIL THREAD:

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. These reported malfunctions are very frustrating, for we have verified that this disc did indeed "pass" all the required quality control tests... the same procedures that we have used to ensure the reliability of our other discs. And, to date, we have shipped thousands of these discs, and have received no other complaints.

That said, we have immediately forwarded these concerns to our QC department, and will stay on top of this until we receive a solid explanation as to why these symptoms have suddenly appeared.
    Kind regards,

David DelGrosso
    Vice President of Marketing
    DTS Entertainment
    Phone: 818-706-3525 (ext 320)

LJ

12. andrew markworthy

FWIW, I've played the DTS and stereo tracks and they're both absolutely fine (and the lyrics move in synch with the music).

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, why am I not surprised by that response? [​IMG]

14. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

bump

15. Ryan Chron

Ryan Chron Extra

what is dts entertainment's e-mail address, Lance? I think we should all make our voices heard on this one.

...and andrew, what kind of dvd player do you have?

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

17. andrew markworthy

18. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Well I finally picked this one up yesterday at Best Buy. No problems whatsoever on playback of the DTS track or 2.0 PCM track on a Sony DVD player. I am over at my girlfriend's so I couldn't check out the Hi-res multichannel PCM.

It sounds like your player may be the problem Ryan. One thing you could do to eliminate the particular disc you own as the culprit is to return yours and pick up another copy. If you still run into problems, you can be assured that your player is the problem. Unfortunately I don't see DTS remastering the disc for your problem if your player is to blame. Possibly Toshiba knows about this problem from earlier discs and has issued updated firmware. It is worth checking into.

I hate to say it, but from all the problems Toshiba players have run into over the years with various discs, I would never buy one of their players.

J

19. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

20. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I dunno, maybe I'm livin right. I've had a Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player for 2 years and not had one problem with it.