What's new

QUEEN's next live DVD! (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Well I think the bonus clip of "Staying Power" that was included on disc 2 of "Greatest Video Hits 2" is a good indication of what we can expect of the video quality and IMO it's not too shabby.

As for the Japan concert(s), they were always Japan-only releases and I can only assume that it must've been some kind of 'exclusive' deal they made with their Japanese record label. Neither the '82 or '85 shows were particularly remarkable anyway. I bought the official re-issues of both on VHS a few years back (Japan being NTSC and all...) and I wasn't impressed, especially with the '85 show.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Michael, is the '85 show worth getting..? I've seen clips in comps. and it looked ok... The other show from Japan in 82 Ive seen, was once available here on VHS and I agree was nothing special.

And yeah, the Staying power clip looks ok, but thats all... ok... I think the rainbow footage looks just as good. And there are excerpts from that show all over the docs. And honestly, it's the material and performance that is most important. Rainbow was a huge milestone, Milton is just a pittstop and although they played superbly, Freddie had to apologize for "Hot Space" in the concert itself.
"It's just a bloody record. People get so excited..." etc...

Dont wanna seem negative, I would just really like to see some old, classic stuff restored, preserved whatever...

:) D

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Honestly? No. Whoever mixed that concert should be shot, it's awful. The keyboards are *higher* in the mix than Brian's guitar! "Another One Bites the Dust" is played ENTIRELY on drum pads/machines!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Since we've got this thread going, has anyone seen any other live shows available in any other Region (legal releases only)? I used to have "Live In Rio" and "Live In Budapest" on VHS (long since lost...:frowning: ) and I would love to have these on DVD.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The only "official" DVDs (concert wise) are "We Will Rock You" (Montreal '82), "The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert" and "Live at Wembley Stadium." I cannot speak for the Japanese concerts though. Anything else (especially from Brazil) are bootlegs.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Actually Mike, We Will Rock You was shot Nov. 24th/25th 1981, on their tour to promote the Greatest Hits album, which is why there is no Hot Space material.

:)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Since you got me on the year, I'll have to get you on something as well - Queen did perform "Under Pressure" at those shows and as you know that song was featured on....wait for it...."Hot Space." :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
If I recall correctly, "Under Pressure" was released as a single and appeared as new track on Greatest Hits. When Hot Space was released, it also appeared on that album. Therefore, they could do a tour for Greatest Hits and play that track before playing any of the Hot Space material.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
What Eric said, I have We Will Rock You and you're correct, but it was before the official HOT SPACE tour and it's just that I don't consider that track as "Hot Space" material. And it REALLY doesn't fit on that album.

:)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Considering the following a RUMOR....Freddie Mercury tribute concert re-release on CD/DVD as the "complete" show.

(found this on another forum)

I'm sure *some* of the above comments are also filled with fan opinion.

Not enough material for "Greatest Video Hits 3" DVD? Who are they kidding? If that truly was the case then why in the world would they have left off the "Innuendo" videos from "GVH2"? There is PLENTY of stuff, videos AND bonus material.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Michael, thanks for the update...and damn, do I wish that I was there to hear the full "Somebody to Love"!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the updates Michael! In response to:

2. What a jerk. We've been hearing about this thing since the Freddie box came out. That really angers me. They've gotten our hopes up about it so much, and now...ugh.
4. No need for MIH2.
5. Great. So we're not going to get the Innuendo videos, the MIH videos (they're available on R2 but not R1), or the "Under Pressure (Rah Mix)" video? They should have put them on GVH2 then. That bugs me because "Innuendo," "The Show Must Go On," and "I'm Going Slightly Mad" are great videos.
6. Hello? Most of their hits are from the 70s!

Oh, and I don't think we'll see a new Freddie concert DVD. There's no need for it. CD, maybe, but not necessary.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Yeah the box sets just aren't a priority right now. Afterall, Bolivia needs that damn musical too!

Re: GVH3 DVD. It'll happen, bank on it. Either they're blowing smokes up our asses or a fan misinterpreted what was said. There's no way they'll just forget about all the videos from '89 on.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I mean to say, Bohemian Rhapsody was a complete flop, whilst Hot Space was an amazing success. So therefore we can have the Milton Keynes concert promoting the latter, but the BBC's Christmas Eve show (which is in perfectly reasonable condition) from the Night at the Opera period isn't going to be released. :angry:

Face facts - Queen fans exist in sufficient numbers to make practically any Queen product a commercial viability. Are they *honestly* saying that the pre-1979 concerts are such poor technical quality that the fans wouldn't buy them?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It's kind of surprising about the seventies product not being "commercial" enough to release. At this point, I would guess that the majority of people buying Queen product are fanatics who would buy ANYTHING to help their collection, and not the casual fan who already has three Greatest Hits CDs and two DVDs available to satisfy their "fix". As long as the sound/video is better than the bootlegs I've seen, I'm standing in line for it!

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I've loved the Queen releases I've picked up so far. I don't have the Freddie Tribute DVD, but part of that is because it is incomplete. If they were to re-release it complete, I would definitely own it (Gotta have my Spinal Tap appearance!! "We cut our set list down to just one song...because Freddie would have wanted it that way.")

Can't wait to pick up the new show in the fall.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Some news for ya'll.....

The information is from Brian May's web site.

The new "Hits" CD apparently will include a rare edit of "I'm In Love With My Car" and teaser tracks from Milton Keynes.

The title of the Keynes concert DVD is pretty awful if you ask me. A non-diehard fan might think it was a Queen concert in Mexico :)

Finally, Brian must have some inside info concerning Live Aid. Last I heard Bob Geldof was going to auction the rights off to the highest bidder and then they would have to secure the rights to all the songs. Not one news source has even hinted that the DVD would be coming out so soon. Color me doubtful.

BTW, in case anyone didn't know, NBC aired the the "Saturday Night Live" episode early this morning that Queen performed on in 1982 (yes, the whole show.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks