What's new

QUEEN's next live DVD! (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
from Queen's official web site, www.queenonline.com

Hmm, just ONE concert from the 1970s is a potential DVD release? Come again? Just what kind of piss poor conditions have the band left the masters in all this time? Haven't they ever heard of restoration?

Certainly they could take the best parts of certain concerts and do a compilation style DVD similar to what Led Zeppelin did last year?

Finally, it seems a bit odd that Queen are breaking their release pattern. The last 2 years saw a concert DVD released in the summer and a music video compilation in the winter yet no hints for "Greatest Video Hits 3" and apparently a concert DVD won't hit until this fall. Odd. Perhaps "GVH3" will be delayed until next year?

Now, "various DVD projects" was interesting. What other DVDs could they be working on? It's been confirmed that they have filmed the "We Will Rock You" musical though I doubt that will get many fans hearts beating too fast. What else? Perhaps a new (and hopefully more robust) documentary? Both "The Magic Years" and "Champions of the World" left a lot to be desired, if I got my way we'd get something akin to The Beatles' "Anthology" DVDs.

Well, I think that's enough information for everyone to think about. :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
WOW!!! What awesome info! I just picked up the DTS version of "We Will Rock You" at Suncoast for $12.99. I also saw this at CD Japan . It's for We Are The Champions: Final Live In Japan which is being released on June 2nd. It's Queen's last concert in Japan from May, 1985. Here's the tracklisting:

1. TEAR IT UP
2. TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN
3. UNDER PRESSURE
4. SOMEBODY TO LOVE
5. KILLER QUEEN
6. SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE,THE
7. KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE
8. LIAR
9. IT'S A HARD LIFE
10. NOW I'M HERE
11. IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?
12. LOVE OF MY LIFE
13. ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
14. HAMMER TO FALL
15. CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE
16. BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
17. RADIO GA GA
18. I WANT TO BREAK FREE
19. JAILHAOUSE ROCK
20. WE WILL ROCK YOU
21. WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
22. GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

At only $35 US Dollars, it sounds like a must-have! Keep the Queen news coming!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Not a big Queen fan, but picked up the 86 Wembley concert; an excellent live group! Will be picking this one up, too.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Milton Keynes on DVD = GREAT!!!!!

Brian and Rog still working as "Queen" even though Freddie is no longer with us and John has retired = STOP IT ALREADY!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Yeah i bought the Wembley Concert aswell. It is simply a fantastic 2-disc set and a great concert. I look forward to the next queen release as in my case i am a big fan :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm pleased with the news of the Milton Keynes concert (incidentally, it has been shown entire - on the UK's Channel 4 pretty soon after the event). However, and at the risk of sounding churlish, I'd much rather have stuff from the 1970s. And I too refuse to believe that things couldn't be salvaged by restoration work. At the very least, a compilation of salvagable bits of different concerts?

I have a VCD of this (I *think* it's legit) - an excellent concert.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I guess their position hasn't really changed much.

Honestly, I DO want those old tracks finished, since well, they ARE Queen. But I think the "lost gems" ran out after they finished "Made in Heaven".

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
First, "46664" refers to the Nelson Mandela AIDS benefit concert in Africa which was held late last year. Brian & Roger wrote 4 new songs for the event and you can hear them on the DVD and CDs of the concert.

RE: unreleased songs.

You know, "Hangman" was never officially released but it's an AWESOME rock track. There are other bits that, with some polishing, would be fantastic such as "Feelings Feelings", "Polar Bear", "Silver Salmon", etc. Of course they could also be talking about "There Must Be More To Life Than This" and though it was released as a solo song by Freddie in 1985, it was *originally* recorded by Queen to be included on their "The Works" album in 1984. They could also do some "Made In Heaven" style re-working on other Freddie tracks like "Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow", "Love Kills" (there's already a version of this one with Freddie and Brian on it so it's almost done anyway, LOL.)

Plus there are some very rough demos of Freddie's that much could be done with. About a month or so ago a fan did a remix of Freddie's "New York" demo (no, not "New York New York" from "Highlander", this is a different track) which went down a storm with fans on the internet. IMO it was very well done and there's a decent number of demos out there.....let's not forget "State of Shock" by Freddie and a pre-freak Michael Jackson. :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
You give me hope, Michael :) I had no idea there was so much potential material still out there :emoji_thumbsup:

Do you have any idea which of the old Smile songs (aside from Doin' Alright and Polar Bear) were recorded with Freddie on vocals? If "Step on Me" is among them, I'll be one happy fanboy.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Is the Queen Anthology EVER going to come out?

Personally, even though I'm a huge fan of Queen, I'm hoping that the new live DVD is a single disc. I don't think it's necessary to release only two-disc sets for the most part.

And that sucks about 70s concerts :frowning:

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

As far as I can recall those are the only 2 Smile tracks that were also recorded by Queen. "Polar Bear" is interesting as it featured Barry Mitchell, Queen's original bass player.

and those Queen box sets ("Anthology", whatever you'd like to call them) seem to be on the perpetual backburner.

I quite like the fact tht Queen DVDs are 2 disc sets, as Freddie would say "The bigger the better....in everything."

There are a few more unreleased demos that I've listened to, "Feel Like" which was a VERY early version of "Under Pressure", they are totally different songs but "Feel Like" was the basis for "UP." Other tracks like "My Secret Fantasy", "Robbery" and "Self Made Man" are all pretty rough in their conception so I would imagine a great deal of work would be needed should Queen ever decide to finish them. I don't think many people realize just how difficult it was (technically speaking) to finish the "Made In Heaven" album. Brian seems positive on doing such projects in the future (as he has said on his web site) but that damn musical is taking up so much of his time, especially now that a US version is currently underway in Las Vegas.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Aren't you thinking of Mick Jagger? I never heard this pairing before.

As a Queen fan for almost thirty years, I want EVERYTHING I can get my hands on! I LOVE demos (I would love to see Queen re-issues done like the recent Fleetwood Mac CDs), remixes, b-sides, live tracks, alternate takes, etc., etc, etc. Just no more endless repackagings of the hits, thank you very much!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Nope. "State of Shock" was *originally* recorded by Freddie and Michael when they were working on some demos together (one of the other tracks was "There Must Be More To Life Than This" which Jackson sang and Freddie played piano.) The two never got back together to finish the tracks off as Jackson and Queen were due back to record their own albums at the time. Jackson went on to record "State of Shock" with Jagger and included it on his next album.

These two demos were leaked onto the internet about a year or so ago which is obviously how I heard them.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, they could CERTAINLY release Live@The Rainbow from '74 as it's been released on VHS in Japan and elsewhere, I had an old copy and it was AWESOME!!!!!
It's not the full show, but I'll take an hour of LIVE '74 era Queen anyday!

And yes, Milton is a pretty good concert. :)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Yes, yes it is. I hope the DVDs bonus features will include other "Hot Space" songs performed live from the same tour (but weren't performed at Milton Keynes) like "Calling All Girls" and "Body Language." I believe a few shows from the 1982 tour were filmed (at least partially.)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

Well, surprisingly, this looks like it will be the first decent single disc Queen greatest hits set.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Let's wait until they announce the tracklisting first....

but still how many "hits" albums can you release without looking like money grubbing whores?

There have been "Greatest Hits" (with original cover featuring the band sitting), "Classic Queen", "Greatest Hits" (with the red cover), "Greatest Hits 3", "Greatest Hits 1 & 2" (gold cover using the UK tracklisting) and "The Platinum Collection" (all 3 'hits' volumes together.) Do we really need a 7th? You could count "Queen Rocks" as it was another compilation disc of stuff we've heard umpteen times (except for the 2 "new" songs.)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I was lucky enough to see Queen at the Garden in '82, the same tour. Calling all Girls sounded very good live, all electric gtr. by Brian, so more muscular than the album track, but honestly "Body Language" didn't cut it and was even truncated into a medley. I'm a huge Queen fan but even I'll admit that's a rather dull tune and was a shockingly BAD choice for a single, ESPECIALLY as a first single. )Under Pressure doesn't count because that was released the year before on the original QGH) Alot of rock fans who I knew in High School virtually wrote them off at this point.

And while very happy to get the whole Keynes concert on DVD, I honestly think GHV1 had such piss-poor video quality on the majority of the clips that using that as an excuse for not giving us the Rainbow concert is lame. I'm SURE real fans would understand some quality issues in order to have that show or what they have of it still... Lessee, Stone Cold Crazy live or Action This Day, what would you rather see..??

Or as suggested, a compilation of different era concerts like a longer better version of "Through Time and Space"....

And Milton keynes was shot using 1982 or earlier video cameras, it ain't gonna look real good either....

70's era Queen is the zenith for alot of fans. The best concerts on DVD we have of close to that time period is "We Will Rock You" but the lame audience participation in that really doesn't show what an incredible connection with the audience that Freddie and Queen had on a good nite. Freddie's frustration is apparent in that when he chastises them during "Jailhouse Rock" "Move it you f*ckers, c'mon!"

sigh.... and why is the Final live in Japan which most people used to assume was a bootleg from Brazil getting an official release in Japan but not here??? Because it was taped there...??? Weird....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks