What's new

QUEEN to tour in 2005 - official news (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I listened to the MP3s of them performing with Rodgers. He's good, but he sounds absolutely nothing like Freddy. I really wish they'd gotten George Michael instead.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

BArnes and Noble starting carrying this last week. A DEFINITE must-have for Queen fans! I even have stuff shown in the Bootlegs/Collectables section! (But why didn't they show the white vinyl "Night at the Opera" from Holland?) I highly recommend it, even at the $12.99 price.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
George Michael? Yecchh. Great singer, but his range is about an octave too low.

Gary Cherone absolutely stole the show at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. He's the only singer I've ever seen who could fill even one of Freddie's shoes. If anyone is the right mix of performer and vocalist, it's Cherone. Pity about that Van Halen thing, though...

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, I've listened to virtually ALL of the official downloads from the current tour and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with what I've heard. There seems to be a genuine chemistry between Queen and Rodgers, not only within the actual performances but the between song banter. I can get really used to them together.

This is not saying that *everything* works, for example Rodgers' ad-libs during Queen songs don't always work and I think some tracks could be dropped rather easily (like "A Kind of Magic.")

Fav songs so far:

"Fat Bottomed Girls", "I'm In Love With My Car" (Roger, looking like he needs to go on a diet, can still sing and drum very well!), "All Right Now", "We Will Rock You" (Paul does a great job with this) but ironically my #1 is a Bad Company track, "Feel Like Making Love" which Queen really adds some juice to.

My least favorite moments are the tedious guitar and drum solos (please let those remain in the 70s guys), useless instrumentals like "Last Horizon" and "39" which just doesn't sound the same with Brian doing it by himself.

Anyway, the show in Sheffield was recorded for the CD/DVD release and includes "Another One Bites the Dust" and (I believe) "Under Pressure." I haven't heard either of those nor "Bohemian Rhapsody" yet so I'm looking forward to the official releases.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping for some of the harder rock stuff like Fight from the Inside, White Man, Dragon Attack, Get Down Make Love, etc...

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I agree that the Thin Lizzy tour was great. Unfortunately for me, I also had tickets to two earlier tours, "Queen II" and "Sheer Heart Attack" era, that were both cancelled in Toronto - one time 'cause Freddie had throat problems and once whan Brian had hepatitis (I think).

Best older live show I've heard is a vinyl LP I have called "Queen - Sheetkeekers Live", that is a Queen II era show from England. Best moment on it is when they suddenly stop a song in mid-stroke and Freddie asks "Whaddya think of the show so far?". This was Queen when they had something to prove. Great, rocking show.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
That brings back memories Rick. I know I have that live recording and if memory serves me it was a pause right in the middle of "March of the Black Queen". Incidentally that is my favorite Queen song as well, from Queen II.

Freddie pauses like Rick said and then cuts right back to the song, "He gives a great big cry, he can swallow up the ocean....." Great stuff.

I believe March of the Black Queen was a precursor to Bohemian Rhapsody in style, if not content. Its definitely distinct, different musical arrangements pieced together to make the song.

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few more memories from early Queen shows.The opening song at Avery Fisher Hall from the Sheer Heart Attack tour was Now I'm Here .The opening of the A Night At The Opera tour show at the Beacon Theatre had Freddie silhoutted, standing behind a white paper door singing "I see a little silhoutto of a man..." before he burst through the paper and the lights came on.They did the the complete Bohemian Rhapsody later in the show.There was a lot of speculation on the NY rock stations at the time and how they would pull off doing Bohemian Rhapsody live.And they pulled it off gracefully by using the recorded opera part of the song.Some of my favorite songs were dropped in later tours- Ogre Battle,March Of The Black Queen,From Father To Son etc..Would love to see a DVD release some day of some very early Queen shows.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how many bands like Queen actually (professionally) recorded their concerts back then. Audio and video. They could make a mint now for fans who are interested in this stuff.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
TommyJD,

Those are really some great songs from the Queen II era, I'm really hoping some day that Brian May decides to set some time aside and redo Queen II in DVD-audio 5.1 Surround. I've been collecting Mobile Fidelity discs but sadly they concentrate only on the new albums and so the first three albums have never been given their time as far as remastering to the highest standards.

I don't think the earliest shows have any commercial video potential as they are either segmented or sonically flawed. By now I'm sure between the fan club and private sources, we would see something new come up in the past 20 years or so. However those are the very shows I'd love to see. Perhaps someday a video box set will be released with anything even remotely suitable for us Queen fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks