QUEEN to tour in 2005 - official news

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael Allred, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
  2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

would I be correct in assuming that John Deacon is "passing" on this...like most of the other Queen projects of late?

For those that didn't see it, Brian is playing at the 12/18/04 show of "We Will Rock You" in Vegas...this thread

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

For John's dignity, I sure hope so.

Huge Queen fan, but I'll pass on this, thanks.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Paul Rodgers? Man, I like him a lot (Free, Bad Co, the Firm), but no way he can fill Freddie's shoes... Need someone with a lot more range.

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yeah I can't be too crazy about this either,without John and Freddie how could it be Queen? Of course it would be true if Brian and Roger was absent and John and Freddie was about to go on tour.They should just let it go,and move on with a different name.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Exactly.

For reference, the following bands (among others) no longer exist:

The Beatles
    The Beach Boys
    The Who
    Led Zeppelin
    Queen

Former members who wish to tour should refrain from billing themselves under the name of their previous bands.

Page/Plant did it right in the mid nineties calling themselves Page and Plant, and delivering an astounding set of mostly less-obvious Zep tunes.

The only time they violated that rule was for Live Aid, and as you know, they were smart enough to exclude that dreck from the recent Live Aid release.

Back on topic, I would agree with KCB...I love Paul Rogers' work, but can't see him covering Queen tunes.

I think I recall some comments during the Freddie Mercury tribute concert that George Michael patterned his style 100% on Freddie's. Hearing him doing some Queen tunes during that show, I would agree. He's the guy they ought to get for this tour.

BGL

7. Jeff*Pecor

Jeff*Pecor Auditioning

I agree George Michael as the only suitable person who could come close to Freddie. Not only vocally, but that all important stage presence. I would love to hear George do some "rock" music. The dance stuff is OK, and his "artistic" expression. He would give his career a big boost if he could pull off a tour with the remnants of Queen.

8. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I feel bad for Brian & Roger. I wish them recognition and continued career fulfillment as long as they have the drive to work as musicians. But, it's more than a little stretch to be referring to the two of them as "Queen" at this point. I wish they didn't have to result to such desperate PR.

Sadly, I'm afraid a tour named "Taylor & May: Reigning On" wouldn't sell-out the large venues they had gotten accustomed to. I'd go.

I love those guys, but GOD I miss Freddie.

C

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

george michael as the lead singer for queen?

talk about serendipity...and more jokes then even jay leno could handle.

10. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

I beg to differ. [​IMG] Gary Cherone (formerly of Extreme) put on one of the top performances during the Tribute concert. He has the vocal range as well as some of the stage presence (likely one of the reasons Van Halen fans couldn't accept him).

Cherone doesn't have the star power of George Michael, though. Why couldn't they use an ensemble of singers?

11. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Extra

Freddy Kruger is available. Really guys, this is an act of desperation by the remaining members. Freddie Mercury will be rolling in his grave if they tour with Paul Rogers, whose better days are long past too. What I am going to see next - The Jimi Hendrix Experience with Lenny Kravitz on guitar and vocals?

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd like to see Gary Cherone do the lead as well.

13. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit

Jeff Brooks
    Please, say it isn't so. We've got enough DVD material of Queen, now, as it is, to keep everyone happy. Paul Rodgers should get back with Bad Company or The Firm. (And his voice is too low for Queen.) George Michael does, however, fit with Queen, in oh, so many ways!

14. Michael Allred

Michael
    George Michael can handle the pop/ballad stuff but c'mon, he can't handle hard rock.

Anyway, here's more official news from Queen's web site;

15. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Having been a huge Queen fan for over 25 years, it is a bit sad that they are looking at this option. I saw them in concert twice ("The Game" and "Hot Space" tours) and I can't imagine this working for me. I also saw Brian's "Back to the Light" show in Chicago and it was phenomenal! I'm all for Brian and Roger touring again (hey! maybe they can add more of their OWN songs to the show like "Fight From The Inside" and "Sleeping on the Sidewalk"!) but I don't think this will happen...especially in the US.

16. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Looks like I spoke too soon....looks like it may happen in the fall of '05. check out this from Billboard

17. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

It just ain't Queen without Freddie Mercury. The remaining members should give it up and let it end with the dignity it deserves. It should have ended 10 years ago with the release of 'Made In Heaven'....that would have made an appropriate farewell IMHO.

18. MichaelGH

MichaelGH Stunt Coordinator

I wish Brian would hurry up and release a new album rather than trying to tour on the Queen name. I love "Back to the Light", "Live at the Brixton Academy", and "Another World." I'm certainly not interested in Paul Rodgers singing for Queen (although count me in as someone who thinks George Michael would be ideal).

Michael

19. Michael Allred

Michael
    For those interested in hearing Rodgers singing Queen songs with Queen, follow this link;

http://timelily2.com/

Scroll down until you see the headline mentioning the UK hall of fame, the 3 songs are "We Will Rock You", "We Are the Champions" and "All Right Now." They're not too bad.

20. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

I must admit that I am disappointed to hear about this upcoming tour. Although I was never a diehard Queen fan and I haven't followed the careers of Brian, John and Roger much since the Freddie Mercury tribute concert (which was amazing, IMHO), I would've hoped that they would've followed the lead of the likes of the Beatles and Led Zeppelin and not try to tarnish the legacy of Queen.

I would have no problem with any of them going on tour and playing Queen songs, but not AS Queen. Call it whatever else you want, just don't use the Queen name. Queen is synonymous with Freddie...let them both rest in peace!