QUEEN "THE PLATINUM COLLECTION" 3 CD set - Sept. 24

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    [​IMG]
    Queen's "The Platinum Collection" rounds up their three "Greatest Hits" albums (U.K versions) in one slick package.
    U.S release: September 24 from Hollywood Records
    If the U.S release is identical to the U.K's then all 3 CD's will be picture discs. The booklet is somewhere around 45 pages, filled with brief histories of every single track. You might have seen the commercial for this set on U.S TV (specifically MTV but I've seen it elsewhere too) that was well put together.
    If you've been wanting to try out the incredible music of Queen (Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor & John Deacon) but never knew where to start, my friends "The Platinum Collection" is YOUR beginning, YOUR perfect introduction to one of the biggest bands of all time. Just check out the tracklisting;
    Disc 1:
    1- Bohemian Rhapsody
    2- Another One Bites the Dust
    3- Killer Queen
    4- Fat Bottomed Girls
    5- Bicycle Race
    6- You're My Best Friend
    7- Don't Stop Me Now
    8- Save Me
    9- Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    10- Somebody To Love
    11- Now I'm Here
    12- Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
    13- Play the Game
    14- Flash
    15- Seven Seas of Rhye
    16- We Will Rock You
    17- We Are the Champions
    Disc 2:
    1- A Kind of Magic
    2- Under Pressure
    3- Radio Ga Ga
    4- I Want It All
    5- I Want To Break Free
    6- Innuendo
    7- It's A Hard Life
    8- Breakthru
    9- Who Wants To Live Forever
    10- Headlong
    11- The Miracle
    12- I'm Going Slightly Mad
    13- The Invisible Man
    14- Hammer To Fall
    15- Friends Will Be Friends
    16- The Show Must Go On
    17- One Vision
    Disc 3:
    1- The Show Must Go On (live with Elton John, Queen's last performance as a 3 piece)
    2- Under Pressure ("rah" mix)
    3- Barcelona (Freddie duet with Montserrat Caballe)
    4- Too Much Love Will Kill You
    5- Somebody To Love (live with George Michael from Freddie's tribute concert)
    6- You Don't Fool Me
    7- Heaven For Everyone
    8- Las Palabras De Amor
    9- Driven By You (Brian solo)
    10- Living On My Own (Freddie solo)
    11- Let Me Live
    12- The Great Pretender (Freddie solo)
    13- Princes of the Universe
    14- Another One Bites the Dust (with Wycleff Jean)
    15- No-One but You (only Queen song recorded solely as a 3 piece)
    16- These Are the Days of Our Lives
    17- Thank God It's Christmas
    This set effectively covers every hit single they've had from 1974-1999. Every song made the top 25 in the U.K (except: Queen + Elton John's "Show Must Go On" as it was a bonus track and "Princes of the Universe" but this became VERY well known because of it's ties with "Highlander", both the feature film and TV series.)
    Without a doubt, you simply CANNOT go wrong with "The Platinum Collection". Freddie's voice, Brian's guitar, Roger and John's rhythm...incredible rock anthems, multiple genres of music for every taste, interesting collaborations with high profile singers, big solo hits, I could go on.
    If you've never experienced Queen's hit machine, buy this set! If you're already a Queen fan, I'd recommend buying it as a collector's piece (since they're picture discs. I own the "Queen cabinet" with all 20 of their studio & live albums and all are pic discs and since I already bought the UK "Platinum Collection", I have every Queen album as such!)
    September 24 guys and gals, go get it!

2. David R. Hendrickson

David R. Hendrickson Stunt Coordinator

i didn't think "A Kind Of Magic" (my favorite Queen album) was that big when it came out. but with five songs in this collection, i guess it must be popular...

anecdotal Queen story: living in the Bay Area in '80, a local DJ announced that John Lennon had just died. the then proceeded to play Another One Bites The Dust. he only got about 30 seconds into the song before his boss came in and ripped the LP off the table. nice big SCRATCH! don't think he worked there too much longer...

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks for the info. Do you know if The Platinum Collection has been remastered? I have the current Queen compilations. One compilation has a maroon cover, and the other has a blue cover. In addition, I have an import two-disc set entitled Greatest Hits I & II, which has a gold cover. I am not really interested in Queen's later works, so the third disc in The Platinum Collection doesn't really grab me. Given the Queen compilation discs I already have, I wonder if there is any reason for me to get The Platinum Collection.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Keith, if you're not into Queen's later stuff (neither am I), why not just pick up their first few albums? There is some great stuff that isn't on any compilations.

Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack (my favorite), A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, and News of the World are all fantastic albums.

NP: McCoy Tyner, Stanley Clarke, Al Foster, SACD (CD layer)

6. Michael Allred

Michael
    "A Kind of Magic" went to #1 in some 35 countries.

7. Michael Allred

Michael
    Good news, 'The Platinum Collection' debuted on the Billboard album chart at #48.