What's new

Queen+ Paul Rodgers "Return of the Champions" live CD w/ exclusive bonus DVD (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Looking through this week's Best Buy sales paper, the upcoming Queen+ Paul Rodgers live CD, "Return of the Champions", will include an exclusive bonus 2 track DVD! It does not say what the two tracks will be (I'm guessing it'll be a preview of the upcoming "Return of the Champions" DVD.) I had not heard of any bonus stuff to be packaged with the CD until today so this is a nice surprise.

"Return of the Champions" 2 CD set will hit stores September 13.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Apparently the bonus DVD will contain "Reaching Out / Tie Your Mother Down" and "We Are the Champions", presumably from the forthcoming live DVD.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Anyone get this? Michael? Reading at amazon, mostly good reviews. And the negative ones basically say, "Paul ain't no Freddie." Well... duh. I'm the biggest Freddie fan in the world but like Brian has said in interviews, he is NOT replacing or imitating Freddie, he is being Paul Rodgers and he's playing with Brian and Roger. Good for them.
I'm gonna wait for the dvd.

:)

Tim L

Second Unit
I picked this up-the concert is solid- they still sound great- I know paul is no freddie- but I had already heard them play together- so I knew what I was buying-The bonus DVD was cool- I will be picking up the concert when it comes out (I can't believe how the years are creeping up on roger and brian-especially roger-butit happens to us all :D )-I also read on a queensite that brian may be working on some unrealesed stuff from freddie- so that will be cool.
Tim

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I really like Queen's music, but have no interest in them sans Freddie, unfortunately. He was just too good.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I enjoyed the new album but I must say, the performances offered on www.queenpluspaulrodgers.com (the official downloads from their Euro tour) were FAR superior IMO. I think they played it safe for the album.

BTW, the album charted at #84 on the Billboard chart. Considering it had no damn promotion, I'm shocked it charted at all.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
Watched the dvd tonight and was impressed by the performance. Don't overlook the bonus live clip of Imagine taken from the Hyde Park outdoor gig from the Summer. Its on DTS 96/24 Surround too.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Tough to think of Queen performing without Freddie, but I liked the preview footage of the DVD well enough that I saw online. I'll be looking forward to picking this one up.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who bought this dvd? It totally rocks so why doesn't everybody chime in there reactions to it.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I'm a big fan of both Queen and Paul Rodgers/Bad Company, so I'm really diggin' this DVD! Obviously Rodgers could never replace Freddie, but that isn't his intent. This is just a cool team-up of a few great musicians performing some of their combined works, with fabulous results. I was a bit worried about Rodgers' take on a few trademark Queen songs, but he does a fine job. Obviously no one could ever replace Freddie, and Rodgers doesn't even try. Although mostly featuring Queen tunes, I really enjoyed May's guitar work on the famous Bad Company/Free songs.

This is another top-notch Queen DVD with excellent audio/video production values. From what I understand, Brian May is heavily involved with all the work that goes into Queen's DVDs. The DTS track really kicks (as usual on Queen DVDs). I like the fact that all Queen DVDs omit the Dolby 5.1 track in favor of a PCM stereo option. The Dolby 2.0 stereo track never cuts it for music DVDs, so people without 5.1 setups are able to listen in the next best format.

I would also recommend the live DVD of Bad Company from a few years ago called "Bad Company Live: Merchants of Cool". It's a great show with another another killer DTS track.

Anyone know if there are plans to release May's 1993 solo concert "Live at Brixton Academy" on DVD? It's one of my favorite laserdiscs, and I'd love to hear it in DTS!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Matt! I have the Brian one as well! My friend Cathy Porter was one of his backup singers!
We saw Queen and PR in Hollywood. Concert was very good but the audience who was more Rodgers fans got really antsy when he took a break and Brian and Roger did their thing. As great as they are, they are not "front men". They also didn't play "Break Free" or "Magic" so the concert felt a bit short but was still fab.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks