Queen + Paul Rodgers LIVE concert DVD coming!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Allred, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    For those of you that have doubted Queen's decision to tour with ex Free/Bad Company singer Paul Rodgers, you will have the opportunity to judge for yourself this September 13 when they release a live DVD from their current tour.

The news was originaly reported at www.musictap.net (or.com, I forget) and I proceeded to e-mail Brian May himself and he confirmed on his web site, www.brianmay.com, that it will indeed be a DVD from Queen + Paul Rodgers' tour. No other details were given.

Fans who have attended the ongoing European tour haven't reported seeing any cameras so I'd guess the concert hasn't been filmed yet. I'm assuming they're waiting for one of the bigger shows to occur (so it looks like a bigger "event" I guess) such as Hyde Park (they could hit 100,000 fans there) or a show in Holland where they could hit 50,000. Still, isn't that kind of cutting it close...filming the show, editing, post-production, sound mixing, all the work on the DVD itself, etc.

I'm also assuming this DVD will be similar to every other Queen DVD release, 2 disc set, DTS 5.1 and so on. With the show being so current, I'd hope there will be plenty of bonus material to include as well.

On August 30, musictap also announced a Queen + Paul Rodgers CD will be released and one would assume it would be a live album, either the same show that will appear on DVD or taking a "Live Killers" approach and use songs from various shows (as there have been some differences in the set list so far.)

For further information, you can check out the official web site, www.queenpluspaulrodgers.com

You can also legally download live tracks from their web site (for a small fee of course) and purchase an official blank CD (with artwork) that you can burn those downloaded tracks onto.

Queen + Paul Rodgers are still considering a US tour this fall but nothing has been confirmed yet. I hope they come here!

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I wonder if they're planning to record new studio albums together.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

You'd think that if they're going to bother putting artwork on the CDs, they'd go ahead and burn the songs on too! (Says Mr. Dialup.) [​IMG]

This whole thing is still just weird.

4. Michael Allred

Michael

They leave it up to the individual so you can choose which songs you want on there from a specific concert. The money goes to AIDS charities.

5. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I went to the site and checked out some of the song samples. I can honestly say I don't like this new collaboration. After decades of listening to Freddie Mercury belt out these great hits, it just didn't sound right. I know no one will replace the great Mercury, but I think they could've done better than Paul Rodgers. No disrespect of course. I like Bad Company, but Rodgers and Queen are like oil and water, they just don't mix. My own opinion of course. If there was ever to be a new frontman for Queen, I would've elected George Michael. His renditions of various Queen songs during "The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert" in 1992 literally blew me away. I may have to listen to more samples, but I don't think this is a DVD I'll be purchasing. Just didn't agree with me.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I pretty much agree. Paul Rodgers is great, but he just doesn't fit the Queen material very well.

I've also been hoping they'd hire George Michael ever since that tribute concert.

7. Michael Allred

Michael
    Guys guys, how can you judge George Michael based on three songs *which were chosen to fit his voice the best.* Would you want to hear nothing but ballads and pop numbers? I like GM but there's no way in hell he can handle rock music which was one of the reasons why Roger Taylor said GM didn't qualify.

Besides, hasn't GM sworn off performing live these days?

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Well, we can't argue with that one. [​IMG]

9. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I seem to recall that at one time Robbie Williams was considered for a new Queen frontman position. A little more versatile than GM, but not sure why that idea fell through.

10. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Nice to see Spike Edney is along for the ride, but no John Deacon? NO SALE! [​IMG]

Queen is getting to the Beach Boys stage, where the name of the band remains, but the lineup has little to do with what it originally was. Let's hope they don't go the King Crimson route and essentially reinvent the band every few years.

I'm glad they're happy and enjoying this, but it's not really Queen to me, in the way Page and Plant are not Led Zeppelin.

Will still check out the DVD, though [​IMG]

11. Michael Allred

Michael

Roger said that both he and Brian liked him a lot but said Robbie wasn't a "team player."

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

After hearing Robbie do WWRY terribly at Live 8, I'm glad they didn't go with him. Nobody could ever really replace Freddie as he could do it all, ballads and screaming rockers.

[​IMG]

13. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Michael,

[​IMG]

This was at the after-party for the Beacon theater gig in NYC on the "back to The Light" tour. My friend Catherine Porter was doing backup vocals!

[​IMG] d

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Brian looks a little green there -- did he vomit after the pic was taken? [​IMG]

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

[​IMG] Actually we were all piss-drunk and he was sober as a judge! Seeing him, Roger and Rodgers at the Hollywood Bowl in 3 weeks! [​IMG]

16. Michael Allred

Michael
    Dave, there's a line from a sci-fi flick called "Screamers".....

Take me with you

17. Michael Allred

Michael
  18. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I got the R2 PAL disc last nite. (Shot on video so no speedup and extra PAL res...) Wow. One of the best produced concerts A/V wise I have seen yet. The editing is spry, energetic but unlike so many of the current concerts out nowadays, (like say the new Green Day disc), they actually linger long enough so if you're a musician you can actually SEE what they're playing! (Not that I'd ever be able to play as good as Brian but it's still fun and a challenge to play along.) I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl and they were pretty awesome, (the crowd full of cell-phone camera toting, yapping, ADD addled Angelenos could have been better though..) and the concert on the DVD is longer than the set they played at the show we went to. Slash did jump onstage to play "Can't Get enough..." with them which was cool.
    Watching the dvd I can say that, No, Paul is no Freddie and wisely he doesn't try to be and a few of his high notes were a bit harsh and ugly but he gives his all and everyone seems to be really into it, band and audience. I teared up a bit during "Love of My Life" and "Days of our Lives" and had my damn hands in the air during Radio Ga Ga like a fool at 1 am...
    (THAT was an interesting moment at the H. Bowl concert BTW, you could tell who was there for Rodgers as they looked completely bewildered at 1/2 the crowd doing the video hand-clap)
    The bonus "Imagine" on the disc is pretty nice as well..

[​IMG] d

19. Rian

Rian Stunt Coordinator

I was just wondering if anybody had any idea about when Greatest Videos 3 would be coming out. I would hope it would come out this year since it has been a while now since Greatest Videos 2 came out.

20. Michael Allred

Michael
    No word on video hits 3, the band are more concerned with the "now" I suppose.