Queen+ Paul Rodgers begin work for new album in October

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael Allred, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    According to Brian May (writing in his soapbox for www.brianmay.com,) Queen+ Paul Rodgers will head into the studio to begin working on a new album.

It'll be pretty interesting to see what they can come up with regarding new material. It's one thing to get along for a tour and just playing live, another to write/record/produce brand new songs and get *your* way regarding how it'll end up.

I'm also curious if they'll follow the traditional Queen songwriting credit route, regardless of who wrote what as individuals, everything was credited to the group for (primarily) royalty purposes.

Paul wrote a new song, "Take Love," which they played on their US tour earlier this year so I would assume that would end up on the album. I'd like to see a new version of "Reaching Out" as well. A small bit of it was played as the opener for their tour and it was originally recorded some years back by Paul and Brian. I'd like to see what Roger could contribute to it. Also maybe we'll see a studio version of "Say It's Not True."

I know some folks will continue their diatribe about using the "Queen" name again and never even bother listening to the new record when it comes out (next year I'd gather, probably followed by another tour.) Oh well, their loss. I'm definitely looking forward to some new songs.

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Actually that didn't start until the last few albums they released...IIRC, it began with "The Miracle".

3. Michael Allred

Michael

Yes and that became the tradition. [​IMG]

4. Michael Allred

Michael
    Apparently, Roger Taylor released (or is releasing, I forget) a new single under the guise of "Felix and Arty." Felix being his son's name and "Arty" a way of saying "RT" or short for Roger Taylor. Ahem.

Anyway they have a myspace profile where you can hear the song for free. Here's the link:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=100011298

It's a bit Bob Marley-ish but it's kinda catchy.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Brian May should not be trading on the Queen name.
    Queen is a band with Freddie Mercury at the front.
    Anything else is not the same.
    Call it Queen Minus
    Call it Princess
    Call it anything but Queen, and certainly not Plus.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I gotta agree with John. Without Freddie Mercury out in front the band just isn't Queen. Nothing against Paul Rodgers, but there's simply no way he can fill the shoes. Nor should he try. Mercury had a completely unique voice and stage presence that IMO cannot be duplicated OR replaced. I think the band would have been better off going their separate ways instead of trying to resurrect something that's gone forever.

That's not a diatribe Michael, it's my opinion as a fan.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I feel the same way. Queen isn't Queen without Freddie. But this is a horse that's been beaten to death at least twice before. [​IMG]

8. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I recently ordered both "Fun In Space" and "Back To The Light" from Amazon UK to throw on my iPod. (Today I ordered the Freddie Mercury set that just came out.) Having recently watched the "Making of A Night At the Opera" DVD it got me thinking...what I would LOVE to hear is an acoustic recording by Brian and Roger. I seem to think that Queen was an early promoter of the whole live acoustic set portion of a concert, especially for a rock band. I'd love to see some of those tracks "revisited" in an acoustic setting.

Having said that, I'll still probably pick up any new product that they release...even with Paul on vocals.