1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Queen: Greatest Video Hits 1 - DVD details

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    "The first in the Hits series is set for its debut on DVD this Autumn. Greatest Hits One, produced by Simon Lupton, will be available in full DTS surround sound. It will feature on Disc One the original 17 tracks - all colour regraded, panned and scanned by David Mallet. Disc 2 will feature Now I'm Here, Seven Seas of Rhye, Keep Yourself Alive, Liar, Love of My Life, and the fast live version of We Will Rock You."

Here are a few highlights from a Greg Brooks article:

* work on the first Queen rareties anthology set was deferred a few months because of the DVD project, and should resume when the DVD project finishes in mid-July

* he's been researching and writing sleeve notes for the various projects

* some of the video material they've been looking at include
    - outtakes
    - alternate takes of videos
    - live performances
    - obscure TV appearances
    ******a specific example - some rare footage of Roger and John that has never been seen, not even by the band, that fans "will love"

* material that doesn't make it on the DVDs will not be wasted, but will appear in the rareties sets - they are not "squandering opportunities".

* the DVD production team is Simon Lupton, Rhys Thomas, Richard Grey, Justin Shirley-Smith, Kris Fredriksson and Greg Brooks, with the band "monitoring progress closely and guiding the proceedings."

* "No stone has been left unturned and we truly have scrutinised every facet of the DVD concept and potential."

* "I've also been listening through hundreds of audio tapes this week in search of sound bites of John and Freddie, looking specifically for comments about videos and songs, for the DVD audio commentary."

* "However, on this subject - editorial decisions - I can tell you that if Brian or Roger reject the outtake footage I saw today, I will personally sneak into the editorial suite on the night before the handover and put it back in myself!"

* he met, at this year's convention, a fan named Jim Stevenson - "a fan since day one" - who had a huge "VERY beautiful" Queen scrapbook, containing "original, 28 year old full-page press advertisements for the early singles" including ads for Killer Queen, Now I'm Here, Bo Rap, Somebody to Love, You're My Best Friend, the Hyde Park free concert, etc., which Brooks wants to use "as illustrations in the accompanying Queen anthology box book."

NOTE: Much like the Freddie Mercury tribute DVD, why the focus on DTS as the "deluxe" audio option? Why can't they use a DD 5.1 option as well?

and I am confused at the "panned and scanned" comment found in the first paragraph. They're all full screen videos to begin with! Perhaps they just used the wrong terminology (taken from Queen's official fan club magazine.)

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Michael
    Thanks for the info
    [​IMG]

3. andrew markworthy

Excellent news. Roll on Greatest Flix vol 2 and all those live concerts currently languishing in the vaults.

4. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I don't think any of them were letterboxed. I have no idea what they would "pan and scan."
    Unless they mean cropping the 4x3 picture to 16x9, as they did with the Tribute Concert? [​IMG]

6. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

The only thing that I would like to know is Release date and what region.

7. Michael Allred

Michael
    According to Queen's official web site;

It can now be confirmed that the US release date (of the DVD) will be October 15th and will be issued through Hollywood Records!

Hopefully it'll have all the same features as the UK release.

8. Michael Allred

Michael
    this was translated from www.towerrecords.co.jp so it may have some mistakes.
    price: 5,524 Y
    Japanese DVD
    release date: 2002/09/30
    label: Toshiba(ÔÔò¹) £Å£Í£É
    2 DVDs
    cat. number: TOBW-3057
    "Finally, Queen Greatest Hits To Be Released on DVD!
    Most of the tracks are from their 70's albums.
    Bonus Disk has 6 clips and also some rare films.
    Every flim was upgraded on its color so they have all clear color.
    It contains Freddie Mercury & John Deacon's audio guide book and Brian May & Roger Taylor's video guide book"
    pre-tracklist
    Disc 1
    1. Bohemian Rhapsody
    2. Another One Bites the Dust
    3. Killer Queen
    4. Fat Bottomed Girls
    5. Bicycle Race
    6. You're My Best Firend
    7. Don't Stop Me Now
    8. Save Me
    9. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    10. Somebody To Love
    11. Spread Your Wings
    Is a guess...I don't know what is çµêÀªÎìÏ. It's meaning is "Wings of eternity"
    12. Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
    13. Play The Game
    14. Flash's Theme
    15. Tie Your Mother Down
    16. We Will Rock You
    17. We Are the Champions
    Disc 2
    1. Now I'm Here
    2. Seven Seas of Rhye
    3. Keep Yourself Alive
    4. Liar
    5. Love of My Life
    6. We Will Rock You (fast live version)
    "Bohemian Rhapsody" Documentary (about 20 minutes)
    http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/sitema...DS_SORT_CD=103

9. Michael Allred

Michael
    I'm still curious as to why they're calling it "Greatest Video Hits 1" instead of the catchier "Greatest Flix". Guess there won't be a "Box of Flix" in our future....

Still, I'm very pleased that Queen DID take their time in releasing DVD's. They're really making sure they're quality stuff I mean remastering their old 70's music videos in DTS?

I hope they don't letterbox the full screen videos but as has been previously mentioned, they did it to the Freddie Mercury tribute concert (but it should be noted, they seemed to frame it awfully well!)

10. Michael Allred

Michael
  11. Michael Allred

Michael
    Here is the official press release;

----------
    Champion!

Queen's Greatest Video Hits on DVD For the First Time

Greatest Video Hits 1 DVD For release 14 October 2002.

Containing no less than 22 of the band's all-time greatest hits, Queen – Greatest Video Hits 1 DVD is the first of a series of DVD releases from Queen which will revisit the band's legendary video catalogue and make it available in the most advanced audio and visual formats currently in existence.

Compiled directly from the band's phenomenally successful Greatest Hits 1 album, which has to date sold in excess of 25 million copies worldwide, the DVD arrives after more than twelve months of extensive archive research and audio and visual enhancement.

Under the close supervision of Brian May and Roger Taylor, Queen engineer Justin Shirley Smith has re-mixed these classic Queen tracks from the original masters in both stunning DTS 5.1 surround sound and stereo.

David Mallet, whose association with Queen as video director spans over 20 years, has meticulously overseen the restoration of the videos. The majority, some, astoundingly, almost 30 years old, have been re-graded and colourised giving them a new lease of life.

It is the first time a DVD project of this scale has been undertaken. And never has Bohemian Rhapsody sounded like this!

In addition to the enhancement of the original audio and visual tracks, Greatest Video Hits 1 DVD, packaged as a double disc set, also offers a host of bonus material:

A brand new audio commentary from Brian and Roger, exclusively recorded for this DVD.

6 extra tracks – including an unique version of Good Old Lover Boy recorded especially for BBC TV's Top of the Pops.

A special section devoted to Bohemian Rhapsody, recently voted the No.1 song of the past 50 years, including a unique documentary in which Brian May revisits the original 24 track studio and explains how this landmark song was created.

A picture gallery featuring previously unseen shots of the band, and a specially re-edited version of the famous nude Bicycle Race filmed at Wembley Stadium in 1978 containing previously unseen footage discovered in the archive.

Also included as a bonus hidden video is the rarely seen second edit of Bohemian Rhapsody, specially made for Top of The Pops as a means of injecting some variety into the band's week-on-week appearances on the show over the 9 weeks the song remained at No.1 on the charts.

Queen Video Hits 1 DVD

Disc 1: 16 Tracks/DTS Surround Sound/PCM Sound/16.9 widescreen/Comprehensive audio commentary from Queen.

Bohemian Rhapsody/Another One Bites The Dust/Killer Queen/Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race/You're My Best Friend/Don't Stop Me Now/Save Me/Crazy Little Thing Called Love/Somebody To Love/Spread Your Wings/Play The Game/Flash/Tie Your Mother Down/We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions

Disc 2: 6 Tracks/Bonus Tracks:

Now I'm Here/Good Old Fashioned Loverboy/Keep Yourself Alive/Liar/Love Of My Life/We Will Rock You (fast live version)/Inside The Rhapsody (documentary)

Photo Gallery – cut to 'Seven Seas Of Rhye'

QOL – 4 x Factual pages about Queen Online (queenonline.com)

Bonus Hidden Video

The double disc package also features a twenty page full colour booklet providing rare photo images, complete histories of all of the videos, together with written contributions from members of the band and many of those involved in Queen's extraordinary video collection."

12. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

Great!

Any plans to release the tracks from the great "Greatest Hits 2" CD?

13. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

14. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

AWESOME! [​IMG] [​IMG] These discs are gonna become permanent fixtures in my DVD player [​IMG]
    I wish more bands were this devoted to getting it right when it comes to releasing their material on DVD. Beatles, I'm looking at you! Where the freak is "Let it Be" on DVD?? [​IMG]
    ps-- The "One Vision" video opens with the Queen II cover image turning into the boys holding the same pose, but in 1986: Freddie has his moustache, Roger and John have short hair, etc. I don't know if a photograph of that moment exists, or if it only exists as a video image, but it sure would be great to see it used as the cover for the eventual GVH2 [​IMG]

15. Michael Allred

Michael

16. Michael Allred

Michael
    For those interested, www.cdnow.com and www.amazon.com have the DVD up for pre-order (even though Amazon has no product information posted yet.)

17. Michael Allred

Michael
    Reminder, the DVD is out TODAY!!!!! CDNow hasn't shipped mine yet though :-(

18. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

WOW, i think i might pick this up today after i get out of school....

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

19. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

OK, I don't have DTS, so will I be able to hear the DVDs?

Jimmy!

20. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit