Queen DVD - is DTS version much better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Kurland, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

I found the DD version, but I haven't found the DTS version locally. If there's not much difference in audio quality, I'll just as well keep the DD one. I just don't want to kick myself later for not waiting for the DTS if its better.

2. Ken Beck

Ken Beck Auditioning

According to the DTS website, the new Queen "Night at the Opera" disk uses DTS 96/24 which would be better - only a couple of receivers can process it though e.g. the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX. Supposed to be available at Best buy on the 14th of December.

3. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

I believe I read that the Queen in DTS was postponed until January 15, 2002.

Jeff

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

are talking about the dvd audio disc or the new we will rock you dvd concert. If it is the concert you are asking about, then your answer is yes, the new version clearly blows away the older version, particularly in video. I thought the dvd audio was to have both the DD and DTS versions on it- am I wrong?( wouldn't be the first time)

Tim

5. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I have the Queen: We Will Rock You DTS DVD, ordered from my usual suppliers (Canada-based DV-Depot).
    Picture and Sound are fantastic. I just wish all concert discs (heck, all DVDs full stop) looked and sounded this good. They are, IMHO, on my unprofessionally calibrated by eye-and-ear system, reference quality.
    Is the DD better? Dunno. I am not about to bother looking for even better audio. If you have a DTS decoder, you cannot go wrong with the DTS version.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Thank you, Pioneer!

6. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

I guess more specifically, I was thinking of the "we will rock you" dvd, and not DTS "night at the opera"-audio CD which I'm looking forward to getting. I have the Dolby Digital DVD, but I thought if the DTS version was better, I would search more aggressively for it. Since its an older concert, I suspect the DTS and DD will sound similar, if not the same.

Thanks

7. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I got the Queen we will rock you DTS DVD recently. I tried it in DD and DTS. The DD is very different than the DTS version. The DTS sounds like someone threw a shirt over the speakers. Very muffled with no soundsstage. The DD version is very open and the soundstage opened up. There is a very noicable difference between the two.

Anyone else have this experience with the DTS version?

8. Darrel Johansen

Darrel Johansen Stunt Coordinator

I compared the DD and DTS last night. The mix is different, obviously. The DD version brings up the treble on the high-hats and percussion, whereas the DTS version has rolled-off highs for the drums. Also he DTS is about 3 db down from the DD on my receiver (Denon 3802). FM's vocals sounded about the same, as did BM's guitar, once I compensated for the 3 db difference between the two.

Both tracks sounded good. Certainly a welcome DVD presentation over the original DVD had really lousy sound and worse PQ.