Queen DVD-Audio "Night at the Opera" is encoded with DTS-ES!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_T, May 1, 2002.

1. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I got the Queen DVD-Audio disc and was sampling the DVD-Audio 5.1 track as well as the 96/24 PCM stereo track, when I decided to see how the DTS track sounded. Much to my amazement my Sony DA5ES indicated that the DTS bitstream was encoded as 3/3 or 6.1.

Even though encoded with DTS-ES, it doesn't have the flag to set the receiver into 6.1 automatically, so I switched it on manually - and it, in fact, is encoded with discrete DTS-ES. Many vocals, and instrumental parts that were sent to the rear surrounds, were now being discretely sent to the center rear channel.

I didn't really listen extensively to the DTS-ES track, but it is something I will plan on doing - and comparing to the 5.1 DVD-Audio surround track.

The curious thing about this is that the fact that this is DTS-ES isn't mentioned at all on the packaging.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, can you access the 24/96 stereo track on your DVD-A10? It has been said by others that this track is on the DVD-Video layer. With Warner discs, the 'A10 defaults to the DVD-Audio layer, hence my question. If you can play the 24/96 track on the 'A10, have you tried doing so without the use of a TV? My copy of A Night at the Opera is on the way, and these issues are important to me. Thanks in advance.

3. EricK

EricK Second Unit

AWESOME!! Can't wait to hear this 6.1 DTS-es and 96/24 to boot! SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

Eric.

NP: nada (everyone is sleeping)

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

5. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

The nice thing about this disc is that you can select the audio mode you want from the menus. This is the first DVD-A disc in my collection that I have actually been able to listen to the DTS track because I own the RP-91. I'm guessing you'll be able to select any audio track you want without the use of a TV on the A10 as long as you know which group to select, but I have been wrong many times before.

The DTS track is nice but I am really surprised by others that are saying it sounds better than the 24/96 tracks.

Lin

6. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I've been trying to sample my copy but it has been difficult due to family activities.

I think it defaults to the DVD-A 5.1 mix. Both the DVD-A & DTS mixes are very impressive.

This will be considered a reference disc. It is packed with several great sounding mixes, lyrics, original B.Rhapsody video, photos, etc.

Confusing to navigate? Yes, but it does deliver.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks for the info. My copy should be coming from Digital Eyes either tomorrow or early next week. When it does, I will try it without the TV. I guess I'll press play with the tray open and then fiddle with some buttons to see what happens. Of course, if I hear anything in stereo, I will have to figure out if I am hearing the discrete 24/96 DVD-Video track or a folded down mix from the 5.1-channel DVD-Audio track. I'm sure I'll be using the TV on this disc. [​IMG] I agree that having to use the TV on some discs is a drag, and I prefer SACD as a result.
    By the way, the scrolling on-screen lyrics is very cool. I have always wished that Warner would do the same thing. I'm just waiting for DVD-Audio discs with one line of the lyrics at the bottom of the screen and a bouncing ball to follow along with the music. [​IMG]

10. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, thanks for the info. Does the Dishwalla disc have a discrete stereo track? I thought Silverline Records was going to only include a 5.1-channel DVD-Audio track. I hope that is not the case.

12. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

The Dishwalla disc does indeed have a hi-rez stereo track which I think is a first for Silverline. However you have to remember that this was Dishwalla's new album and not something previously released. On my Pioneer, the main menu allows me to select either the MLP 5.1 track or the 96/24 stereo track. By using the group select search, the MLP 5.1 mix is group 1, 96/24 stereo mix is group 3, DD 5.1 is group 5 and then strangely, group 4 is a standard 44.1/16 stereo mix.

On the new Queen disc, something very strange. Using the top menu, you can select from the MLP 5.1 mix, 96/24 stereo mix or the 96/24 DTS mix. The MLP mix is group 1, but here's the strange part, both the 96/24 stereo mix and the 96/24 DTS mix are both on group 2. My fist thought was that I was listening to a downmix stereo version, but my Pioneer doesn't indicate that. Why they would master it this way is very strange. Group 3 is the Bohemian Rhapsody video.

In any case, they're both very well done. I also picked up the new Graham Nash disc and will check it out tomorrow.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, thanks for the info. I might have to experiment with the Dishwall disc. It's interesting that a 16/44.1 stereo track was included. I wonder how it compares to the CD. I'm still waiting for my copy of the Queen disc. I can't wait to give it a listen.

14. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    Some weirdness here. I got my disc last night and noticed something strange. After swictching my DVD-A player, the Technics A-10, to the DVD-Video Mode, and selecting the 96/24 DTS 5.1 mix, the display on my receiver, the Onkyo DSTX-989 (which has been upgraded with PL II, NEO and DTS-ES Discrete), indicates that there is an incoming DTS-ES Discrete signal (3/3.1), but the sound is muted! (Jeez, that was a run-on sentence!) [​IMG]
    When I went into the Onkyo's Listening Mode set-up menu I noticed that the surround speakers had been disabled, so I switched it to ON and it disabled the DTS-ES and was able to listen to it in DTS-ES MATRIXED, but not discrete. It seemed that whenever I selected DTS-ES ON, the sound would mute. Strange, huh?
    Anyway, I disagree in that the DTS mix sounds better than the MLP mix. I find the MLP mix much louder and clearer, the channel separations more distinct and the bass tighter and more pronounced...then again, I am routing the multi-channel connections from the Technics A10 through the OUTLAW ICBM-1, so bass management is not an issue here. The strange thing is that the DTS 96/24 track plays fine through the Pioneer DV-525 and Yamaha DSP-A1 I have in my bedroom.
    Does it have anything to do with the DTS-ES decoder in my reciever? I don't know, but maybe in June, when I send my Onkyo for another upgrade for THX ULTRA 2 and DTS 96/24, the problem should be worked out.
    Anyone else with the same equipment having similar problems?
    Cheers!
    Harry

15. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

16. PatrickTy

PatrickTy Extra

Hate to burst everyones bubble, but the Queen disc is NOT, repeat, NOT DTS-ES encoded... the decoders are simply confusing the dts 96/24 Extension stream with the ES Discrete stream... both 96/24 and ES use the same DTS+Extension bitstream. My DTS-ES receiver does not falsely activate... and the disc should NOT be played in ES Matrix.

Ty C.

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

My Outlaw 950 reckognise this falsly as well but it doesn't put any sound to the "rear center" speakers,yes it wasn't meant for this I agree.