What's new

Que 24x10x40x CDRW burner drive at CompUSA - good deal? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My current 3 years old CD ReWriter drive has been producing CDRs that can't be read by other CD drives, so I decided to upgrade to one of them new fangled CDRW burners with the burnproof buffer underrun protection.

CompUSA has these $80 CDRW 24x10x40x drives (you have to send in for the $30 rebate to get down to the $80 final price + tax) and it's made by Que.

I think it's the same drive that is offered by Liteon because it's got not only the burnproof capability, but is bundled with Nero CD burning software, just like the Liteon retail units.

Does anyone have any experience with these units? The sale goes on for this weekend only. I figure I'd leave it unopened until I get some positive feedback on this unit. TIA.

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
This burner is highly rated on CNet. I tried to buy this one when it went on sale a couple of weeks ago. For $99 with the $30 rebate, but they were sold out. So I ended up with and HP 16X for $89.

Regards,

Adam.

Mark_Crowley

Auditioning
The Lite-on burners, while the cheapest on the block are NOT the junkiest... In fact, far from it. In a couple of tests that I have seen on this product, it is near the top on most performance categories, and tends to produce extremely readable CD-Rs overall. With the CLONE CD application, this burner is one of 2 that can produce complete BIT for BIT copies of data, and subcode data (The only other drive is the Plextor 24x10x40 drive, which costs twice as much).

The only detraction that I can see is with the speed at which it can image copy-protected CDs... Otherwise, it is an excellent drive.

Mark Crowley

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the input.
Here's one PCWorld review of the Que 24x10x40x CDRW drive. It sounds like I can't really go wrong with this drive, or the Lite-on 24x10x40x, or the Cendyne 24x10x40x that's on sale at Office Max for $90 (after $20 rebate).
I guess I'll stick with the Que drive and let you all know if it was worth the research. :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Enjoy the Que drive! While the Que drives get slammed by many in the Mac community, I went with a Que FireWire CD-RW because it always performed well in tests by independent publications. Man did I make the right choice. I've had it since March and this thing is one helluva workhorse! I've burned hundred of CD's without a problem. When this thing dies, I'll definitely be buying another QPS (Que) burner.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I chickened out and returned the Que CDRW drive, and went online and order the Lite-on 24x/10x/40x drive for about the same price without the rebate nonsense.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
animchicken.gif

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
If you have the money -- and it does cost more -- I would recommend the Plextor. I have the SCSI Plextor, and have *never* had a problem. I've even burned while doing some heavy multitasking (downloading a huge pdf, playing Quake, while burning) and had a perfect CD. I hate the Easy-CD helper guy, because it always seems to get in the way, but that's no big deal. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks