Quck question on tone controls...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrettisMckinney, Sep 5, 2004.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Hey guys, i was just wondering what you do with your bass/treble nobs on your reciever. Im having a hard time thinking weather i need to move these from centre or not. I would like to know what most of you guys do, if you leave them or add depending on certain situations or not. Im running a Yam rx496 and Paradigm Monitor 7's.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I try to leave them alone and not mess with the intended mix from whoever made the disk. If you don't like the sound of your equipment with no tone adjustments, and even moreso across all your sources, then you probably have the wrong equipment for your listening preferences.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

One of the nice features about some of my Yamaha amps is the "tone bypass" switch that removes them entirely from the signal chain.

Leo Kerr

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ideally you shouldn’t need to use them, except occasionally when a program source needs some adjustment. For instance, I’ve had a run of DVD’s lately that sounded like the characters were recorded with pillows in front of their faces, so I had to boost the treble.

I’d say just listen to your speakers. Do they sound balanced – i.e., the bass and treble in correct proportion? If they sound “thin” or “bright” you can counter-act that by boosting the bass, reducing the treble, or a combination of the two. If the sibilants sound muffled you probably need to do the reverse.

If you find that you have to have a permanent adjustment for everything to sound right, you may have a situation where your speakers are not a good match for your room. Larger rooms such as open family rooms need larger speakers with larger (or more) bass drivers to sound correct. However, take that same speaker into a small “bedroom theater” environment and it will sound bass heavy.

The inverse is also true: Take the speakers that sound balanced in the bedroom out to the living room and they’ll sound thin.

So, if you find you need permanent tone control adjustment, you might need to look into different speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Thanks for all your suggestions guys..much appreciated!

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Remember too that it's always better to cut then to boost.

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Brettis

In my humble opinion, tone controls are meant to be used. Turn them up or down to give you the most pleasing sound. Non use of tone controls is an outdated idea. People buy 10 band equalizers all the time. Purist is nice philosophy but not really based in reality.

Trust your own judgement. On the other hand, if something seems dreadfully wrong when you use the tone controls you can change speakers or make some other expensive changes.

Give the tone controls a really good try. I use my tone controls all the time and wouldn't have it any other way.

Check out the parametric equalizers on the newest receivers: they are just a more flexible set of tone controls.

Artie

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I never use tone controls. To me, these are last resorts when proper system setup such as positioning, room treatment, calibration, etc..., are not yielding the best results. They are not nearly as effective as an EQ, but can help in certain situations. An EQ gives control over specific bands and is a useful tool, not just a fancy "tone control".

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

source-direct for me!

really though, i gotta go with arthur. if you like it, use it. nothing wrong with that.

just don't crazy with the boost....like my friend who likes to have his bass/treble turned up all-the-way! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

With good speakers and a good sub, there should be no need to have to take the controls off the default settings. However, having bad speakers might make it necessary to adjust the settings to make up for the weaknesses that they have.

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Or speakers that aren't especially suited to the room.

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

In my experience I have never found them useful for digital sources, but having recently re-added a turntable to the rig, I found that they seemed much more capable with vinyl.

Not sure if thats a frequency center issue, or what, but the controls on my AVR (NAD 762) are much more complimentary to LPs (even good LP's) than with any digital source. Dialing back a bit of bloated bass, or dialing up a bit of treble on a rolled off LP has worked pretty well.

YMMV.

BGL

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Or just a lousy room. You would probably want/need an EQ rather than just tone controls at that point.