What's new

Quck Question about my notebooks screensize (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I'm currently about to buy a compaq notebook computer, and the available resolutions are as follows...

15.0" TFT XGA (1024 x 768)
15.4" WXGA Widescreen (1280x800)
15.4" WVA WSXGA+ (1680x1050)
15.4" WVA WUXGA (1920x1200)

If my math is correct, the bottom 3 are all widescreen screens, right? Only the 2nd one outright states it.

Also, can anyone tell me how much better the resolutions are? I am highly considering the 1920x1200 model, because it's not much more expensive.

Last, if I have a full-screen dvd, open matte, is there any kind of zoom feature I could use to crop the top and bottom during viewing? Thanks in advance.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
The "W" in the resolution states that it is a widescreen resolution. i.e. Wxga, Wsxga+, etc. The WVA states that it is designed for wide viewing angles.

Uhm, how much better the resolution is is already listed. . . I don't quite understand what scale your gauging them on. The 15.4" WUXGA will have a higher pixel density than the 15.4" WSXGA+ screen and so on down the line. at least I think that might be what your talking about.

Full screen DVDs tend not to have the bars, but if they do your DVD software should have a zoom option in it.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
but he said 'full screen open matte', which i believe is a 4x3 picture with a widescreen image 'in' it. so the actual image is full screen, but the image contains black bars at the top and bottom, creating a widescreen image. am i right about this? anyway, your software dvd player should have zoom options.

CJ

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
No, that's letterboxing. What I think he's asking about is a way to "undo" the open matte, recropping the stuff that the director cut out originally (including possibly boom mics and dolly tracks). A DVD player might zoom to fill the widescreen, but almost all widescreen displays are 16:10, so it wouldn't cut out everything added to a 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 movie. You could zoom more, but that would crop the sides.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, as long as I get close. The DVD isn't a movie that was Super 35, so it's not like I'm gonna have to chop off much. If I recall, it was matted to 1.85:1, which means cropping it until the sides meet the edge will probably be close enough. I finally plunked down a few bucks and got the first Child's Play on DVD, since it seems like MGM isn't going to release a region 1 widescreen version anytime soon...

At least the image isn't pan & scan, but still...

Also, I wanted the wide screen because I read it's handy for when you have multiple documents open, and I do that VERY often... so that'll definitely be a plus. :)

thanks for the help guys. :)

I went with the 1920x1200 one, it wasn't much more expensive, and I figured the increased resolution will probably be well worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks