What's new

Qucik Onkyo TX-SR502 question (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I'm looking to purchase one of these for my parents and needed to make sure they have a few essential features.

From what I read on the specs sheet of Onkyo's website the 502 has:

A/B speaker switching
component switching
DSP for "all channel stereo"

Can anyone out there confirm all these for me?

I apprecaite your help.

Thanks,
Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It does appear to have component video switching with 50Mhz bandwidth. According to the specs, it does not do video upconversion though.

Almost all receivers today have an "all channel" stereo mode, and if not, there is some other DSP that will distribute stereo sound to all the speakers.

Not sure about the a/b speaker switch. You can dowload the manual from Onkyo's website.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it has all three of those features. Onkyo claims that the component jacks (2 input, 1 output) are "HD", but the frequency response is 5 Hz--50 MHz.

The DSP, by the way, is somewhat limited in what it can do. For instance, if you feed it a 96 KHz/24 bit PCM signal, you can't also use a DSP mode (such as all-channel stereo). And on mine, enabling DTS neo on a 88.2 KHz signal results in annoying clicking in lieu of actual music-- although this could be a problem with my setup. DTS neo does work rather well with lower frequency digital material (44,48 KHz PCM), DVDs, and analog inputs, though.

Users who are viewing this thread