Quasi-Newbie question regarding speaker setup and a new reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Monti, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Mike Monti

Mike Monti Stunt Coordinator

I have been running with a pro-logic only setup for quite a few years (I know, I know but it was free) and after visiting this forum for quite some time I have decided to purchase a new Receiver. For this purpose I have selected the Kenwood VR-509 as it has the RF Remote which will enable me to place the receiver ion an out of the way place (thus making my SO happy) as well as DTS, DD5.1, and PL2 and a price of about $250.00 to make me happy.
    Now here's the tricky part - my old setup is the AIWA CX-NMT55 which was an all in one and as money is currently an issue I would like to reuse the speakers until I have saved up for something like the Def Tech ProCinema 80 (speaker size also being an issue). The connections on my current speakers vary from RCA (both surrounds, the sub, and the center) to the tiny two wire kind (left and right fronts). I know lack of proper terminology is shocking but I haven't quite figured out what banana clips means and I think that's the dam that's holding every thing else back.
    The question actually being would it be possable to hook those speakers up to the 509? I have full faith and confidance in my ability to strip wires should that be necessary and even a little confidance in my ability to rewire should it come to that.
    Any help would be much appreciated

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

For the mains, just put the 2 wires on the kenwood's lugs. For the sub, use a single RCA cable to connect sub out on the Kenwood to your sub. For the center and mains, you have 2 choices depending on whether you are planning to trash the Aiwa or preserve to for another room or a kid. You can snip off the RCA connnection. There will be a central insulated wire that goes to + on the kenwood speaker lugs, and there is a cylinder of mesh wire around the central insulator that you can slice legnthwise and gather up to pput in the - of the kenwood. Be careful not to let any of these filiments short to the + lugs. To avoid cutting off the RCA plugs, go to radioshack and get 3 female RCA jacks. Solder a pair of wires onto the two lugs of each jack and hook the other end of these to the kenwood. Wrap with electrical tape. Or, get female-female RCA adaptors and cut an RCA cord in half. Plug the speaker RCA into the adaptor, and a cut half RCA cable into the other end of the adaptor. Then use the cut end of the cord to go to the kenwood as above. This is kludgy no matter what- hopefully temporary.

3. Mike Monti

Mike Monti Stunt Coordinator

I thank you tremendously and agree that hopefully it will just be a very temporary solution.