What's new

Quantum Leap Season Two - Music Replaced! (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be best to have a form for people to fill out that would include a few things:
Alteration Type: Episode/Music/Aspect ratio
Explanation (maybe 100-200 characters)
Alteration mentioned on packaging (yes/no)

I'd also include the name of the person that submitted the information so they're accountable, and possibly give the option for people to flag incorrect information, or for people to confirm that the information is correct. I could have things logged as "unconfirmed" until 5 people back up the submitted alteration.

Information about changes is rarely "announced" by the studios. I know A&E let people know that episode 4 was left off the season 1 set, and Sony Pictures has told us of a few music changes on their sets, but not all of them.

Gord

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I agree that it would be nice that the studios let us know of the alterations. And further more maybe give the public an idea of the cost when alterations are being concidered. I'd be willing to bet if the price increase isn't too outragious that many will be willing to pay the extra. And with sites that give good discounts on the sets the higher price may not end up being that bad. I plan to buy season 2 and if the alteration is that bad I'll just bear it or figure out a way to play it and get the origional song going from a VHS copy or something :)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I doubt you'll find a studio willing to explain to the consumer how much something costs, just like McDonald's will never tell us how much a Big Mac costs to make. These are businesses, and they're there to make money, not justify how much things cost. It would be more likely that the music companies could offer up this information since they're in the business of licensing it out. I assume it'd would cost you and I the same price to license the piece of music as it would a studio, though they may get a discount based on the volume they are licensing.

Gord

DanFe

Second Unit
Oooh that music replacement is baaaaaaad. Watching that scene again and listening to that music gives the entire scene a cheap flimsy feel to it that would have had me turning off the program back then let alone not buying it now.

Is there any way to turn of the music soundtrack, have actors voices, and play the Ray Charles song on your cd player?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
While I understand that Gord and Dave need to keep in the good graces of the studios in order to keep making the best site for what it does, I have to say that as a consumer and fan, I don't agree with their initial stance regarding the music alterations in QL season 2. After all, who is the site for if not for the consumers and fans?

That said, I think the user-created list of DVD alterations is a fantastic idea. I tried to start something like it at the top of this forum. Sadly, I just don't have the time to keep it updated anymore and no one was willing to help out. I think the plethora of users who visit tvshowsondvd.com would make for great contributors to such a list.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

If it makes anyone feel better, I have two studios pissed at me right now because I said I thought they could do a better job with some of their sets ;)

Gord

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator

Would anyone have advance copies to go off of or would we have to wait until the set is released? If it's the latter that would kinda suck. Getting information like this out as fast as possible is the whole point.

Randy_Cre

Agent
I think its a positive step for the TV-on-DVD website as many consumers, myself included, use the site as one of their primary resources for information on DVD releases. We're counting on it being more than an archive of reviews and press releases from studios.

Adding the feature becomes necessary if studios are not willing to be upfront about music changes and other alterations. It's a shame that they won't, but I think most probably feel calling attention to such changes will hurt their sales and therefore stay silent.

However, if any studio were to read this ... please consider ... IF the studio acknowledges such a change before hand, and marks its packaging regarding the alterations... I can make an informed decision on buying the product. ... I may not like the change ... and I may pass on that particular set... but it would not stop me from buying another Universal (using the QL example) set.

However, if the company remains mum, and makes it appear that they're trying to slip one by consumers... Then personally, I would feel cheated and defrauded and that feeling does affect my future purchases.

Studios make the mistake of being short-sighted if they try slipping by stuff like the music changes on Quantum Leap season 2. They will be back with other products to sell us, don't piss off consumers making the changes AND hoping it will go unnoticed by staying quiet. Most of us don't have such disposable incomes that we want to spend $30, $50 or more and be disappointed.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason

I was thinking more along the lines of what it would cost the consumer to get the DVDs without alteration vs what they would charge us with the alterations so that the consumer can make some sort of impact on the alteration decisions. So if the company gets enough feedback that the increase in cost to the consumer isn't too much then it may save some or all music alterations to a set. And it would also be nice to know how much the music companies are expecting vs how much they charge normally for the rights to the song. Like a good example would be Married with Children, what happened that made it so the theme song couldn't be used. I don't remember what thread I read this in here but I'm sure everyone for the most part has read the info.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Sometimes sets go out before release date, but it may only arrive a day or two before, so getting the word out before the street date may not always be possible. This wouldn't help anyone that preordered the set because it would be too late to cancel the order.

Gord

SarahG

Second Unit
I don't quite understand why they do stuff like this. I guess it has something to do with getting people away from the fact that it's just not the same thing. Didn't they change some of the music in the new battlestar gallactica series? I dont' think people liked that too much when it was first announced, but I guess fortunately the quality of the show has overshadowed the change.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
I decided to buy it anyway, because I love the show. Yes the music replacements does annoy me, but I had a further question about the series since I haven't seen it in so many years in it's original state.

Several of the Season 2 episodes feature Sam in a leap-in teaser which shows him leaping into Jesse Tyler from 'The Color of Truth'. It doesn't make much sense, because that was a first season episode.

I don't recall, but were the episodes originally shown this way?

Esten

Supporting Actor

Yep. usually when the next episode wasn't ready, or for any number of reasons, they'd show a repeat of a previous episode.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm the first disc into it - and while yes replacing the music does suck, it's much adu about nothing. The show rocks hard, so I'm willing to overlook some music here or there.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish I could have that attitude. It's probably better for your health. Instead, I'll suffer in silence.

"What brought you to this lowly state?"

"Music . . . re . . . placement!"

"Noooooooo!"

:D

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
Hey, a lot of people bought the syndicated Alf DVD set, and there is a lot of support here (a die-hard aficionado site) for the upcoming "best-of" release of Mad About You, no to mention things like splitting seasons in half, and jumping from season 2 to season 14 (Law & Order). Studios have thus concluded consumers are retards who will buy anything. Unless a strong $$ message is sent, you can expect more crap like this in the future.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Well, I sent my email to the Universal email address that was posted here. No response yet. I doubt that I'll hear anything. I linked them to this thread and the thread mentioned on the first page. I was polite but let them know I was finished with QL on DVD. I also expressed my opinion that they will probably do this with Miami Vice by Season 2 or 3. My letter should be in their hands too.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
"I'm still going to pick up the set. I probably won't even notice the change. I don't care to find out either as it's been 14 years since I've seen the episodes. Of course I would have preferred to have the original music in place. But then again I would rather have the set as is then not have the set at all.

Just my 2 cents." Chet_F

Sometimes a poor memory is a blessing - it's one of my favourite shows too but having just finished season 2 my problem was not with the music (didn't spot any changes :b - memory!) but the total lack of extras really was poor. Why none of the season one intro's etc?? Edit: Just noticed on the inside slip case where it lists contents - it says extras on side two of disc 3 !!??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks