What's new

Quantum Leap Season 4? (1 Viewer)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, probably covered many times before, but what's the difference with the UK releases? I've been shipping over from the States to get them earlier... should I have been waiting:frowning:

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
well that answers that one :angry: :angry: I should have been paying closer attention... too late now :frowning:

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
No music replacement, but the sound is pitched up 5% because PAL runs faster than NTSC. So go for it, if you want Al sounding like a chipmunk.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
4% actually.

And while I am no fan of PAL speedup, I'll take it over 90% of the music being replaced any day.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There was a sample video I posted a while back that compared a scene from R1 and R2. A/Bing it, I could detect the speedup. But, it wasn't too bad just on its own. And, it sure was nice hearing real music instead of generic crap.

DanFe

Second Unit
Al sounding like a chipmunk? Isn't a problem for me. I want the program as it was when I watched it the first time on tv, not with some canned junk music. If it was the junk music that was on it in the first place that's fine, but it wasn't.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Saying that Al sounds like a chipmunk in the PAL version is like saying that 4:3 pulldown looks so bad it's as if you're trying to play Half-Life 2 on a Pentium 133. :)

A statement based on fact, but completely exaggerated.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

But there is a noticable diffrence. Now granted I havent heard the QL releases yet, but everything else I get from the UK - Doctor Who releases, mostly - is VERY easy to tell something is askew and sound nothing like the US counterparts.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I have a question about the pal speed-up. Say you have a dvd player that converts pal to ntsc does that do away with the speedup issue ? Because i must say i have R2 sets and they sound exactly the same to me as the R1.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
All PAL discs DO run faster however some use pitch correction. It is not fair to say there are no exceptions because there certainly are.

Gabriel Katikos

Auditioning
Does anyone know if this set retains Universal TV '91 (I know for a fact that the first season DVD set of Law and Order kept Universal '75)?

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Ettiquette prohibits me from using my real-world response, but let's just say it was not so much a sentence laced with profanities as it was a single long stream of only profanities.

Darn it all.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Bah. I got the R1 S1, then with the music issue I ponied up for R2 S2 & S3, so my collection is a mish-mash. Now that S4 is screwed both ways, which one should I get now?

Grrrr... highly unsatisfactory.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
That's a good question. I bought R2 S4 before the news broke. First, they are on DVD-9s, so that's always a plus. As for the music, I suspect R2 is still better. That list over at Al's Place is rather short compared to other seasons for R1 and I've already noticed it's wrong about It's A Beautiful Morning being absent, so it might even be a worst case scenario list. Still, I'd like a music R1 vs R2 list for the fourth season to be sure.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I had a quick look at dvdcompare.net, which is usually the best place for region comparisons, but they havent' done S4 yet. And Al's Place's reviews show identical lists of replaced songs for both R1 & R2.

Oh well. I can wait to find out which region is actually better (from the "replaced as little as possible" point of view) before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks