What's new

Quantum Leap S3 - music changed! (1 Viewer)

Dave Farley

Second Unit

Same here, Greg. I held out a very tiny sliver of hope that they would issue a complete Season 3 but in reality, I knew they wouldn't bother.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Does Sam still sing "Imagine" in "The Leap Home"? Just try to replace that, Universal.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Same here.

I refused to buy S2, but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt -- if they had done Seasons 3 and beyond properly, I'd cave and buy the marred S2. But they've now proven that they have absolutely no interest in giving me what I, as both a fan and a consumer, want, so I, in turn, am no longer interested in giving them my hard-earned money.

I will not reward them for putting out such an inferior release of such a superior show.

And, Travis... If this does turn into another "pages of complaints" thread like the S2 thread, it may serve no other purpose than to allow us fans (who would LOVE to be consumers if they'd give us what we want) a place to vent our feelings. I have no delusions that any studio execs will read our thoughts, or that it would even matter if they did...but it does help a bit to have a place where we can at least express our disappointment, in the company of others who share our feelings.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Yeah, that's a pretty good way to put it.

I remember that one of Universal's excuses last time was that they wanted to put out a quality product as quickly as possible to meet demand, or something to that effect. However, I'm sure many fans would be willing to wait a little longer and even pay a little extra if we got the episodes as they originally aired.

Like Linda, I don't hold out too much hope of the studio seeing this and deciding to fix the problem, but it does give us a place to get it off our chests.

As for Universal, well, they just won't get my money. And I'm sure they'll look at the sales and think they were right in not springing for the music clearances. But if they had... Well, there it begins again. :D

To be fair, I imagine the profits probably wouldn't be significantly better if they released it right. I know that more units would definitely be sold, but the bottom line is the bottom line, I guess. It just seems that with a show with as sizable a cult following as this one has, the difference would be enough to notice, at least. But I don't know.

Of course, this is all useless, but like Linda said, we just need to vent a little.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
I'll be buying it regardless, even with the music replacement. Only because I know how much music artists like to stick it to studio's for music rights. I would rather have season sets at a reasonable price, and have to deal with music replacement. Then have to deal with either not having the sets, or paying 2x to 3x more for them just to retain the music rights. In the end, it's just not really that important to me. But hopefully this will cause a change in how TV shows purchase music rights for new shows, so it doesn't continue being an issue.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

If Sony held the rights to Quantum Leap, they just would have removed the scene. Maybe Universal will get there eventually, but, for now, I'm kinda glad they at least kept all the scenes.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
looks like my QL sets will come courtesy of the sci fi channel and DVD-R.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Having had the opportunity to see about half of these episodes on DVD, I can't say that I ever noticed anything out of place with the music. I assume much was replaced, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the episodes at all.

I'll be picking it up.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Like someone above mentioned, I'll take music replacement over episode edits any day of the week.

My copy should be arriving any time now. :)

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Yep I can live with music replacements, and would take that in a heartbeat over Edited Episodes. Hmmm if we don't get anymore seasons cause people won't buy, I wonder if people will come here complaining about that? ;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Huh? Music replacements are episode edits. You're talking about a false choice - music replacements vs. cutting scenes with music altogether. There's another option, as a matter of fact the only acceptable option - all scenes with all of the original music.

Otherwise, as many others in this thread have said, no sale.

Randy_Cre

Agent
I'm concerned that by not buying these music altered sets that we could send Universal the message that we don't welcome music replacement, that we view music replacement as a bad thing.

We might give Universal the impression that we won't fully support whatever edited crap they deem to give us of QL. I also wouldn't want Universal to get the impression that I'm not also anxiously awaiting a Season 2 of Miami Vice without all those songs that can be so expensive.

Turning off the sarcasm ... personally, I'd pay more for properly done sets (I've heard some say, ... at that price... well, just because something is cheap doesn't mean its still not junk). For me, there are so many other sets out there that I'd also like besides QL which is a favorite, that I'd prefer rewarding a company for a set that's done right, than rewarding a company with my money for doing what Universal has with QL. And I'm not convinced that Universal sets of QL are the only way I can have episodes of the show. I'd rather pursue other avenues of obtaining unedited/original music intact episodes than reward Univesal for offering inferior product.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
No sale Universal.

We proved that we would pay higher prices for uncut/music intact with season 1.

And no one at Universal can say now that they know the DVD buyers of TV sets are upset and not buying the sets now, which equals loss of sales no matter which way they spin it. I look at it this way say they sell 100,000 sets at $39.95 for cut ones. But they sell 90,000 uncut at $69.95. If anyone went to their boss and said will we sell less product and the consumers will not buy it but lets do it because we will sell a few copies? what would your boss say to you?

The bean counters have no idea how much people love TV shows like they love movies and will pay more for the better product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks