What's new

Quantum Leap at last? (1 Viewer)

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the Pilot will be on the discs? I heard that it was like a TV movie?

Also isn't 60 USD a little much for 8 episodes?

Hey remember the line?

You're part of a time travel experiment that went a little... ka-ka.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It'll be on there. It's labeled as the complete first season, so it has to be. Besides, the previous disc that contained the pilot has long been deleted. I wouldn't be surprised if Universal makes it available, though, like they did with the Battlestar movie disc.

$60 is a lot, but Universal has it for $40. It'll be around that price or cheaper at retail stores. Even that's high for 8 episodes. By way of comparison, Starsky and Hutch (out in 2 weeks) is only $35 at Amazon for 22 episodes.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
^ And Kung-Fu season 1 is $29.99 at DDD. But then again, Warner's TV releases are among the industry's lowest-priced.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
3 discs doesn't seem like a lot (well, maybe if flippers) how many eps were in Season1? Oh, here's rooting for every season!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There were 8 episodes, but the pilot was double-length, thus the need for 3 discs. $60 is what Fox charges for full 22-episode series, so this does seem excessive.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
$60 is what Fox charges for full 22-episode series, so this does seem excessive.
Especially since Universal's charging the same for Law & Order Season 2 which has 22 episodes on 3 DVD-18s. I'm sure there must be a reason for the high price (the already mentioned music rights perhaps?), and if so then I'd like to hear it.

Chris

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Maybe music rights. Partly because, as Star Trek's excessive ($100/year) bounty has brought (and it sells well) SciFi shows may tend to net a premium if the fan base is there.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Its probably not the music, maybe it has a lot of commentary on it or something or other cool special features.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Yes, I hate that the prices for sci-fi shows tend to be inflated because everyone knows they will shell out the money no matter the cost. Just think about all the highest-priced DVD sets you've seen...

X-Files
Star Trek: TNG
Star Trek: DS9
Star Trek: Voyager
The Twilight Zone (Collections)
Battlestar Galactica

Rape is the price we pay for being so damn geeky. Quantum Leap is not a strictly sci-fi show though. It contains elements from virtually every genre at one point or another in the series, which is what made it shine. If Universal thinks it's fan base is mostly sci-fi fans and prices it accordingly, it might alienate half the potential buyers of this show. It seems like everyone I talk to loves QL, very few of which are known sci-fi junkies.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Another Battlestar Type release I hate these Dual sided DVD's and sixty bucks for 9eps I was unaware that season 1 was Nine episodes. Imagine what they'd get for a full season I fear it'll be at the $119.95 BG Price. I'm sorry you can get a season of Smallville with a ton of music in the show for under $40 shipped. Universal is asking too damn much. Thank god for Netflix

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Yeah, Dave, after remembering what Universal charged for a handful of episodes of Battlestar Galactica, I'm starting to think that the QL season 1 pricetag isn't a misprint.

I fear that once I "leap" for the first season, I'll be committing to purchasing a series that will cost me about $85 a season thereafter.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
anybody else dissapointed in the cover art? I kinda wanted the classic image of him stepping into the accelerator.the art now looks like bacula replaced anthony michael hall on the dead zone.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry you can get a season of Smallville with a ton of music in the show for under $40 shipped.
You can't compare the two. Assuming the high price is related to music rights, then contracts will have needed to be renegotiated for the DVD release, and more money paid out. A new show like Smallville will have probably included provisions in their contracts for redistribution on DVD, thus no extra pay-outs.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Actually, they still need to license the songs for Smallville, which is one reason they don't have the money to do a 5.1 mix on the set.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks