What's new

Quantum Leap at last? (1 Viewer)

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
My goodness - It's "Voyager" pricing...!!! :frowning:

Kidding aside, the pricing structures for some of these releases are starting to worry me a bit... Ok, maybe the music licensing rights DO come into play, but that does seem rather steep. And how does this bode for future standard-length season sets? Paying conceivably $125-150 for around 5 disks??? At that price, my wallet won't just be hurting, it'll be in a coma on life support...

Unless I just say enough is enough, and don't get it...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's actually only 8 episodes, if the pilot is aired as one movie instead of broken up into two as is done for syndication. It better be one movie. As much as I love the show, I'm almost ready to pass at that price point. If I can be convinced it's necessary for the music rights, I'll bite. But, I agree that a full season will be murder if this is any indication.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
And how does this bode for future standard-length season sets? Paying conceivably $125-150 for around 5 disks???
Not necessarily. In addition to the QL article they had today, TVShowsonDVD also had an article on season 2 of Law & Order from Universal. L&O S2 has 22 episodes (approx. the number of episodes in the non-S1 seasons of QL) spread across 3 double-sided DVD-18s for the same $60 MSRP as QL's 2 dual-sided DVD-14s (most likely). So future QL seasons will probably have 3 DVD-18s for the same MSRP as S1.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Here is an unverified list of songs from the first season. I don't know which are originals and which are cover versions/performed by actors in the show. Note that all information comes from this site and all credit goes to them.

Pilot:

"Picnic/Moonglow"
"Que Sera"
"Howdy Doody"
"Hound Dog"
"Thee I Love"
A song from Velton Bunch and the Deltones
Burmashave jingle
"Ooby-Dooby"
"Yellow Rose of Texas"

Episode 2:

"American Pie"
"Betcha By Golly Wow"
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
"We Live on Borrowed Time"

Episode 3:

"Amazing Grace"
"Takin’ Care of Business"
"You Don’t Mess Around With Jim"

Episode 4:

"Cold, Cold Heart"
"Peggy Sue"

Episode 5:

"Stop in the Name of Love"
"Hang On Sloopy"

Episode 6:

Unknown

Episode 7:

“The Wanderer”
“Oh Boy”
“Rockin’ Robin”
“Why Must I Be A Teenager In Love”
“Let It Be Me”

Episode 8:

"Young At Heart"

So, basically, a ton of music. It's probably a miracle we're getting this show at all, and it'll be interesting to see if any of this music is replaced. Can anyone with the deleted Pilot disc verify the music remains on that disc?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
That's not what I'd really call a TON of music, but it's more than I remembered there being.

I'm still figuring out how I'm going to justify shelling out about $45 (discount store price) for a 2-disc set. Yes, I realize they are DVD-18's (equivalent of 4 discs), but on that point, I still have to ask -- why? Are they seriously only putting two episodes per each side of each disc?

Execs at Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment are crapping their pants at the thought of Universal wasting so much disc space. Surely there will be some killer special features to fill in the empty space. Surely this set will be worth all of my dollars. :D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I hope the extras justify that price. Ideally they'll use DVD-18's and cram in commentaries and interviews.

But the cynic in me expects we'll get DVD-10's, with three usable sides, barebones, with replaced music. Hopefully Universal will prove me very wrong there.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
IGN got some news about the extras:

The two disc set will come with deleted scenes, video documentary footage, mock movie footage and "unexposed footage," whatever that means.
So at least we are getting something but the price is still quite salty. But what I'm complaining - I'll be buying it anyway whether it's 10 or 100 bucks.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This was one of my wife's favorite shows and she seems pretty excited about this release. She tolerates my fascination with dvd's, this may get her interested in my "hobby". :D

Hope the price will be lower during release week.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Here's the itty bitty cover picture. Hopefully, Dave and Gord can find a better copy for us. Also, that price is a lot nicer. I wonder if Best Buy will have prices like that come street date.

Edit: Beaten to the punch! :laugh:

Rick P

Supporting Actor
it's up on Amazon.com

- srp $59.98, their $41.99
- THREE DISCS!

(yeah, I know.. I know..)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Large cover art is now up at TVShows. They don't like images linked, so I'll just give you the URL to the news item.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1144

What's funny is Dave apologizing for updating. They could update every hour on the hour all night long and I'd be happy. Not that I want them overworked, but I love TV on DVD news! :D

Oh, and the cover art looks pretty good to me. Considering we can find it cheaper than the SRP, this is looking more and more like a slam dunk, purchase-it-the-minute-it-hits-the-shelves set! Just hoping the music is intact. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks